-> Off-Topic -> Brap Brap Brap Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

Yep. When I started riding motorcycles my friend said get a $50 helmet if you have a $50 head.

DAWGTOY wrote:
what ever you do don't google KY wrestlin match.
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Went out to Brushy yesterday for the KTM Demo with Sam and Lerg. Trails were awesome and I can now say I have found a 4 stroke bike that I would own. Been a die hard 2 stroke fan forever, but the new KTM 350XCW is freakin perfect. Has the handling characteristics of a lighter 2stroke bike but power on tap when you need it and its just enough. I've always bitched about 250 4strokes feeling like they are just wound out and always near the limiter. And the 450's have gobs of power, usually unuseable in the woods, and are kind of heavy and clumsy for singletrack riding. That 350 is perfect. Now...anyone need a kidney? Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Well I did my first Hare Scramble this weekend. 1.5 hours in the Unlimited 25+ Class which is kind of a catch all class that ranges from old hacks like me, to some of the more advanced riders that raced in the morning but just want to get more seat time. I wasn't too nervous and just went out there to run my own pace, get a finish and see what this kind of racing was all about.

Start/Lap 1: Dead engine start. 30 seconds, 10 seconds, green flag. Bike in 2nd gear, throttle cracked just a little, hammer the kickstarter and dumped the clutch. The start straight was mix of sand, mulch and loam. The bike was set on dig and I went up through the gears and hit the holeshot 3 or 4 wide wide with guys in my class. Immediately I said to myself "first race, slow the F down". I settled into the woods in around 5th or so out of the 8 that were on the line. It got tight for the first 2.5 miles. Lots of 2nd gear and clutch action. I knew there were some open fields that they said were sandy and getting whooped out during the day. I hit the sand whoops on the first lap and just cruised through them to feel it out. Made a pass out there in the open and ducked back into the woods where it got tight again, had a hard get-off but picked the bike up and kept my hand on the clutch to keep it running and kept on trucking. I finished the first lap hitting the next field/sand/whoops section and picking off 2 or 3 more people. I never even bothered to see what class they were in and just turned it up a notch.

Lap 2: Started out and as I finished the MX section of the course I could see some people in the woods section so I kept trying to up my pace a little. The tight woods at the beginning got me again. I picked a few bad lines and just drained the talent tank. I settled back in just wanting to keep a comfortable pace, knowing I could make up time in the open fields where my CR, still rocking the MX suspension settings could hammer those whoops. The sand came and I clicked up into third, stood up, sat back over the rear fender and held her pinned. I could see a little dust ahead of me so the adrenaline kicked in knowing I had someone in front me. Hit the field and clicked up into 4th, pinned it and had that perfect feeling of staying up on top of the whoops. Ended up catching the person in front of me right as we got back into the woods. Rode his pace until the next sand section that weaved through some pines. Same thing, stood up, sat back, held it WFO and made my pass. Fairly uneventful rest of lap 2.

Lap 3: Fatigue started to set in so in one of the tighter sections I just stopped and sucked down a ton of water/gatorade from my Camelbak. I knew since I started on the back line of our 3pm race, that I would probably get caught by the leaders of the front class somewhere on this lap. Navigated the woods without a hiccup this time, hammered the sand whoops again and got to about mile 4 of the 6.6 mile course before I heard bikes behind me. Started letting these guys pass and just finished out the race. I barely missed the cutoff to have to run a 4th lap. And I'm kind of glad I didn't have to haha!

Recovered a little and waited for Greg and Cassidy to finish since they made a 4th lap, a few others I knew that were racing and packed the gear. Just before leaving they posted the results. I figured I had finished 4th or 5th just based on where I started and never knowing who in my class I actually passed since there were 100 or so of us out there at one time on course. Well...3rd in class and 68 out of 100 overall. The guys in 1st and 2nd in our class smoked me but regardless of the finish, I am hooked. That is a really fun format of racing.

Abridged version of the story for you non reading sombitches:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

damn good finish chris. that tired feeling that creeps in
just drains your strength. keep riding hard to build up your
endurance. proud of your accomplishment.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Thanks Robert. It was a hell of a fun ass kicking to say the least. I plan on running the rest of the series as my schedule permits.

A few more from a photographer that was at the race.
https://eschracephotos.shutterfly.com/pictures/15917
https://eschracephotos.shutterfly.com/pictures/16091#16091
https://eschracephotos.shutterfly.com/pictures/15666#15663

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

brings back good memorys---cold chills & sh&%t.
good to see ya out there having fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Picked up some number plate backgrounds to clean up the bike a little bit and so people my riding buddies can identify me when I pass them. Twisted Evil Or as my buddy Jason said, so he can better describe to the course sweep who they are looking for a few miles back. Laughing

I also got an email tonight from TrueMX, a newer goggle and apparel company. They approved my application for their amateur support program and I have some new goggles, lenses, tear offs and swag on the way. Every little bit helps when your hobbies are expensive. Very Happy Very grateful for their assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Sleepy
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Sweet!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

nice move on the freebes. all that little stuff adds up quick.
keep riding strong.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

With the potential of 5 races in 6 weeks coming up (4 Hare Scrambles and a GP), I needed to do some serious maintenance on this thing. I've been ignoring a leaky fork seal for a few weeks, been chasing a clunk in the front end as well and have been rocking a homemade chain slider since UFO was backordered and Honda is no longer selling them. I'm out of town for the week for work so I figured it would be a good time for parts to collect at my office until I get home haha.

Leaky fork seal was easy to spot and the clunk I felt is excess play in the fork tubes (most likely worn bushings) I think that was a compounded issue of leaking seals on the right fork tube. The chain rollers are just bearings at this point as well. The plastic disappeared on the same mud day that the chain slider disappeared.

On the shelf:
Brake Pads
Chain Slider

On the way:
Upper and Lower Chain rollers
Fork Oil
Fork Bushings (both the guide and the slide bushings)
Fork Oil Seals
Fork Dust Seals
Seal Bullet
Fork Oil Tool
Plug
Silencer Packing

I'm holding off on re-springing the forks for right now unless I can get someone local to spec me a spring. I have read mixed reviews on RaceTech's calculator and the results of what it spec's out so I am hesitant to pull the trigger on springs that may be the wrong ones. $125 a pop is a pain to drop on potential paperweights. I was close to dropping the forks off at a shop while I am gone, but these seem simple enough to service compared to the newer forks. I like to tinker so I figured having the tools on hand to service the forks would be handy. Especially if I end up getting into dialing in the springs and valving. I've rebuilt mountain bike forks from Fox and RockShox and off road airshocks from SwayAway before so this should be a fun project for this old ripper. Just need to grab some PVC from the store when I get back to make a good seal driver.

I've been riding the hell out of this thing so its due for a solid wrench session. I'm also chasing what I think is a sticking power valve. The tone of the bike on the pipe changed a few rides ago after I replaced the power valve cover gasket. It got really buzzy but doesn't feel too down on power according to the ol ButtDyno. So while I am going through everything during my race prep, before the race on the 28th I'm going to check the PV function and clean it up and compression test the engine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Got home and had a pile of parts at my office. So I got to work last night pulling the forks and doing some other miscellaneous stuff on the bike like installing the chain slider and lower chain roller and re-packing the silencer.

I started pulling the forks and one bolt on each lower on the triple clamp decided to break off with very little effort. So now I am looking at drilling and tapping or drilling and helicoiling the lower clamp. Awesome, so thrilled. You can see the lower bolt still in place in this photo. The other side is the upper bolt on the same clamp.

This is a sample of the oil that came out...fairly certain that Chun Lee himself put this stuff in back in 94 at the Honda factory.

Parts and tools laid out...its been in the high 90's and almost 100% humidity so I moved everything from the garage into the kitchen. Perks of still being a bachelor. No bitchy bitchy for using the kitchen like a shop. Laughing

Cracked the forks open just now in our shop at work. Threw some rubber into the wooden clamps on the vise.

I still have to do something about the screws holding on the seal guards which are putting up a fight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

broken bolts can be a b*tch. heat, candle wax and a GOOD ez out
is your friend. good luck with the work at hand.
oh oh AC is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

Looking good Chris. I feel your pain on the heat and humidity. it sucks....

Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Yotaoffroad27 wrote:
Looking good Chris. I feel your pain on the heat and humidity. it sucks....

I'm sure you're having a blast at work. Our warehouse is a sauna and last week in Philly wasn't much better. I set up on the last day of installs and they had not turned the AC on in the hall, but the meetings had already started. Exhibitors were coming by in full suits to check on their booths for the next day and were LIVID. I honestly can't blame them. For what they pay to exhibit, they can turn the air on for one day in the hall before exhibits open.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Well heat, penetrating oil, wax, EZOuts...nothing worked to get the stripped bolts out of the lower triples. Going to drill and tap a size up tonight. Gotta be careful to not thin out the aluminum too much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

damn i hate it when that happens. at least you got a backup
plan. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

From this weekend in Denver.

Short and skinny of it...Teaching a football camp for 2.5 days before the race and kicking for the first time in two years the morning of the race was probably a bad idea Laughing Got a good start, ran with the lead pack for most of lap 1 before tagging a tree and knocking the bark buster to where it was pointing straight at the ground, bent the brake lever at the same time. Tried to ride on, front brake wouldnt work right with the bent lever so I had to stop again and fix it all. Ran some guys back down and salvaged a 14 out of 28 finish. Just made too many mistakes and got fatigued early. A few weeks and on to the next one.

The re-worked suspension was great until I blew the dust seal out of the bottom of the left fork tube when I bottomed out in a creek bed. I'll re-assemble and try to press everything back in better this time around.

The Honda is a great bike, but it is just antiquated in comparison to some stuff out there. If I continue to race like this, something orange will be sitting next to it for race day and the Honda will get relegated to practice/trail ride duty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

KTM KTM KTM YEA MAN.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:21 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Yessir. It will be tough to conform, but there is no denying that the euros have it down when it comes to XC/enduro bikes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Race Report #3 - Rattlesnake Ridge MX: Taylorsville, NC

Went out today and raced again at Rattlesnake Ridge. This one was by far the hardest race of the season so far. Dusty, wicked dry and the course was brutal but fun. We were either climbing or descending. I don't think there was a section that was flat for more than a couple hundred feet. Rocks, deep silt, dry clay, roots...we had it all.

I got a piss poor start which was 100% my fault. I just took a bad line and got pinched. Went into the woods dead last so I had my work cut out for me. Spent the whole first lap battling through traffic which was a combination of my class and others as a bunch of people were struggling on the long rocky climbs. And when they weren't rocky, it was hub deep silt with roots underneath. Made a few passes on some climbs and had some close calls with riders stuck on the hills, I'm sure I roosted a few, but its racing, not trail riding and I needed to keep my momentum. Finished lap 1 and was whooped.

Settled in on lap 2 and started working my way through the field and various classes. Made a few more passes then got caught on a long downhill mid way through the lap. I just got arm pump, took a wide line around a corner and let the guy by. Huge effing mistake. I was back on his back wheel within a half a mile and spent the last 2.5 miles of lap 2 buzzing his rear tire, revving and hollering to let me by. No acknowledgement or attempt to move over. I lost probably a minute before I finally just bushwhacked through a corner and rolled out.

Lap 3 was fun. Endurance kicked in and I started to get passed by some of the leaders, but I was able to see the faster lines and try to stick to them. I passed a few more people on the climbs and finally got comfortable braking on the downhills while standing. (A huge weak spot in my riding). Finished the lap and the race and was absolutely whooped.

Ended up 8/11 in class and 66/113 overall. My last lap was 1.5 minutes faster than the previous two so my endurance was there and is getting a lot better. Next week we are back at Denver. I'm sure the course will change a bit from a few weeks ago, but I need some redemption after tagging that tree and having to stop for a bit to fix the bike.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

thanks for the report chris--brings back good memorys and cold chills
knowing that you are out there doing what i used to enjoy too.
i'm proud of your accomplishments and your finishes. sometimes just
making the checkers is a big deal. keep working on your endurance
is about the only advice i can give as hare scramble is a very demanding
sport. what scanctioning body is putting on your events? if its mid east hare scrambles thats the same people i used to race with and i've known
buren hamrick pretty much all my life.

keep it up dude.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

DAWGTOY wrote:
thanks for the report chris--brings back good memorys and cold chills
knowing that you are out there doing what i used to enjoy too.
i'm proud of your accomplishments and your finishes. sometimes just
making the checkers is a big deal. keep working on your endurance
is about the only advice i can give as hare scramble is a very demanding
sport. what scanctioning body is putting on your events? if its mid east hare scrambles thats the same people i used to race with and i've known
buren hamrick pretty much all my life.

keep it up dude.

Thanks a bunch Robert. Its one hell of a demanding sport. My goal is to finish each race and be in the top half of the overall at each event by the end of the season. My class doesn't race for a season points total, and since its a catch-all class, we race different people every week. I'm paying more attention to lap times and overall finish to gauge my speed and strength. If I finish in class on a podium spot, then thats a bonus.

I'm running the North Carolina Hare Scrambles primarily. It is tighter more technical woods than the Mid East series which seems to be set up more open like the GNCC's. Mid East is in their summer break right now, whereas NCHSA makes us race right through the heat Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Been a while since I updated this...

Skipped a race to just ride for fun at Brushy Mtn a while back and ended up draining the talent tank. Looped the bike on a hillclimb and had enough time to watch the bike keep going up, then start coming down. (Talladega Nights: "Flyin' through the air, this isn't good") It bent the hell out of the handlebars when it came down. Cassidy, Greg and I tried to bend them back. No luck. Just imagine 3 dudes taking turns jumping up and down on the bars while they were wedged against a rock. Laughing Kept going up the trail just dealing with it since it was a directional loop and I didn't feel like meeting anyone head on. Apparently it cracked the clutch lever when it flipped as well. About a mile later I came into a turn, grabbed the clutch and the lever just fell off. Laughing No clutch and some rocky singletrack whooped my ass. Took it back to the truck and it sat in the garage for a few weeks while I was busy with work and getting my 4Runner together for fall wheelin season.

Finally put it back together this past week:
-New clutch lever (bought a backup or 2 to keep in the truck)
-New Mika Metals bars (design is supposed to help dampen vibration)
-New KJet handguards (Zeta racing knockoff)
-New Protaper Pillowtop grips

I've got some brake pads, a new rear rotor, an exhaust pipe bracket and a new gasket for the power valve on the way. Should be here mid week. Need to install all that, clean the power valve, do an oil/filter change and check the air pressure in the tires.

Last NCHSA race of the season is Sunday in North Wilkesboro.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Was in the shop a wee bit late last night getting it ready for this weekend...Power valve cleaned and reassembled and then installed all the new parts that came this week.

Pads/rotor, long overdue... Laughing

Skipping the race Sunday to go bomb through the woods at Brushy tomorrow instead. I'll work on the 4Runner on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

hey man that thang got a power band? Laughing

-> Off-Topic