-> Off-Topic -> Brap Brap Brap Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Brap Brap Brap
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

94 CR250R: New top end, new reeds, new head, new water pump seals etc. It was VERY dirty from sitting in a storage building for 2 years and hardly ever getting ridden. Strange had it sitting around and wanted Robbie's chassis so we worked out a deal.

How it looked when we dropped the chassis/picked up the bike from Strange: Tons of dust, junk all over the chain and sprocket which was thrown all over the swingarm and under the rear fender during the test ride. Lots of excess oil and grime from the years all over the bike.

Brought it home and gave it a thorough cleaning with some SOS pads, Shout and a lot of elbow grease.

Next up was baselining the whole bike so I could keep track of my service intervals. Changed the oil in the gearbox, flushed the coolant and checked over all the nuts and bolts.

New Scott grips, fixed the stripped bolt on the clutch lever, new hand guards.

Also cleaned off the sprockets to figure out my gearing...already geared 13/51. Stock was 13/49. That explains why its such a monster in 1st and 2nd but still lugs ok. Should be pretty decent for the woods once I get a 10-12oz FWW in there.

Next up is new O-rings and springs on the exhaust since there is some buildup around there, chain guide, pipe guard, skid plate and aluminum ignition cover. I want to armor up the bike before I start riding it in the tight or rocky stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

Looks like death... Have fun, be safe!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

nice ride chris. i just got back from the barber vintage motorcycle
vestivle (sp) in birmingham ala and youd be suprised at the money
old bikes from my younger days are bringing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

DAWGTOY wrote:
nice ride chris. i just got back from the barber vintage motorcycle
vestivle (sp) in birmingham ala and youd be suprised at the money
old bikes from my younger days are bringing.

Its pretty crazy what people are paying for older bikes/parts these days. I got a buddy from college who has moved to Asheville and makes his whole living on small parts/upgrades and the occasional engine build for the Yamaha XS650's. I would never guess you could build a business and support a family on one old motorcycle platform.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Skid plate came in. Brand new, never mounted Devol Racing unit from a guy on ThumperTalk who had it sitting on the shelf for a lot of years. $30 for an originally $135 skid, keeps me in line with the "budget" rebuild of this bike.

Tusk pipe guard, some new o-rings for the pipe and a new chain guide will be here later this week. That should take care of it for now on the bike armor. If I don't hunt this weekend, i'll probably take it down to Charlotte with me and give it a go at the NCHSA Hare Scramble on Sunday in Denver. [/img]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

hare scrambles are alot of fun.
used to race a suzuki 250 quadracer back in the day 86-90.
always placed well usually on the podium with a couple wins.
tons of entertainment--left the track beat and sore everytime.

good luck & give em hell.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

DAWGTOY wrote:
hare scrambles are alot of fun.
used to race a suzuki 250 quadracer back in the day 86-90.
always placed well usually on the podium with a couple wins.
tons of entertainment--left the track beat and sore everytime.

good luck & give em hell.

Thanks Dawg, still not sure if I am going to run on Sunday or not. I still would like to do some more work on the carb, mainly after I clean the pipe and re-pack the silencer. I think a lot of my excess smoke on startup is coming from saturated packing. That should put me in a better spot to address the jetting going forward. Not a LOT of work, but just a bunch of little things I'm not sure I will have time to get to this week.

Got the skid on last night. I guess something on a 20 year old bike has to be shiny. Not for long. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Dove into this thing a little more for some general maintenance. Spent about 3 hours in the shop last night. It was getting a bunch of spooge all over the pipe and the front side of the engine was COVERED in junk. Before I can check and possibly address any jetting issues, I wanted to get this cleaned up. I removed the entire exhaust last night, de-greased the engine, did my best to clean out this old Pro-Circuit pipe, took apart the silencer to re-pack it.

Springs came off with very little effort, the o-ring was missing a whole section, the coupler between the pipe and silencer was torn and ziptied into place etc...the list went on.

Cleaned up the engine a bit.

Silencer packing...saturated with oil and coolant from when the water pump seals went bad.

Got everything cleaned up and the new pipe guard installed

The last little project for last night was installing the new chain guide from Primary Drive. Seems like a nice unit and unlike the one that was on here, it actually captured the chain.

Silencer packing will be here today along with the new red UFO fenders and fork guards. I am keeping the black side plates and number plates for the time being until I can find a 95 airbox thats in decent shape, but the Throttle Jockey graphics will be here next week sometime. I'll hopefully have the bike back together tonight and might take the day off tomorrow to go turn a few miles in the woods.

Graphics kit: 95 1-800 Collect Factory Team bikes of Jeremy McGrath/Doug Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

nice work chris.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

Looks brand new Chris!

Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Yotaoffroad27 wrote:
Looks brand new Chris!

Thanks man. I'd love to make this one as clean as the one in the bottom pic. But that one was done as a replica bike iirc. Hoping to get it stripped down to the bare frame, blasted and coated before our spring trip to HatfieldMcCoys, but the new plastic and graphic kit should clean it up a bit in the meantime.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Put down ablut 25 miles in the woods yesterday. Bike did very well. Pretty happy with how it is currently set up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Ol turd polish "complete".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Got out for about 30 miles at Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park in Taylorsville, NC this weekend. A good mix of fast double track, technical single track and played around on the EnduroCross course for a long time. I left absolutely worked, drove back to Durham and was asleep on the couch by 9 haha. The bike handled everything I threw at it and what it threw me at. It is definitely cold natured so some more carb tweaking is in order, or just swapping over for an Air Stryker soon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

nice ride/work there chris.
it's a good feeling to have worked so hard on somthing
then have it take everything you throw at it in stride.
a well deserved beat down for both bike and man.
rest is good for the body and soul.

whats an airstriker?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

DAWGTOY wrote:
nice ride/work there chris.
it's a good feeling to have worked so hard on somthing
then have it take everything you throw at it in stride.
a well deserved beat down for both bike and man.
rest is good for the body and soul.

whats an airstriker?

It definitely takes what I throw at it so far. Needs better tires and some suspension work. That was apparent after I ran a quick loop on Michael's KTM 300. I didn't feel like I was on the throttle any more to notice the extra CC's, but the bike was just easier to control.

Its a 38mm PWK Keihin Carb off of a 2000 CR250 vs the PJ Keihin carb that is on it. Its just easier to jet and its more tolerant of temperature and elevation changes. Also provides a little more low end.

I need to quit messing with this and get back on finding an E-Locker rear end for the 4Runner to swap in Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Back to working on this thing for a bit. Took a nice digger at Uwharrie on closing weekend. Broke both hand guards off and the clutch lever. The rest of the bike was fine. Really just a dumb mistake coming into a slick downhill and lowsided the bike, it just kind of bounced into stuff from there.

New handguards are here and I am picking up the clutch lever in the next day or so. Should be nice to have this in the back of the Dodge on wheelin trips. If I break the 4Runner, my weekend isn't totally shot down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

yup---you'll have that in motorsports. Very Happy
glad your all good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

DAWGTOY wrote:
yup---you'll have that in motorsports. Very Happy
glad your all good.

Thanks Dawg....just a dumb mistake on my part. I saw the rider in front of me slide through the turn (downhill lefthander) and I just wasn't off the brakes in time so the front end washed out on me. We were on the way back to the double parking lot to get a truck since the head gasket in Michael's KTM300 let go out on Dutch John.

I will say, Uwharrie is a freakin blast on 2 wheels. Haven't had that much fun out there since having something on 33's was the hot sh&%t back in high school Laughing

With the majority of this crowd getting back into more trail riding style rigs we need to do a ride out there sometime this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Got it all put back together tonight. An awesome little independent shop had a clutch lever and perch in stock for pennies compared to what the local stealership wanted.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

cool man. that front brake will throw ya sometimes--someday when we
got time i'll tell ya my front brake story. (vultures involved)
glad ya found the parts cheep. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Rode out at Brushy Mountain again yesterday. It was a mud fest with the recent rains and then yesterdays Freeze/Thaw. Those were the hardest miles I've done on this thing yet. Lots of clutch work and no time for being lazy on the bike.

Had a good group. Michael's KTM had some ignition issues which we think were caused by a bad seal on the ignition cover. Moisture would get in there and short out the ignition. Dry it out and it ran fine. Jason's son brought his new CR125 out (kid rips on an 80 in the NCHSA series) but it ended up having a chunk missing from the clutch basket...no fragments in it at all so the PO cleaned those out, slapped it back together and sold it knowing it was broken.

Cassidy had his old steel frame CR500 out there...a 500cc 2 stroke. It sounds like it wants to just rip your pecker off the second you crack the throttle.

Wish I got more photos but it was just nasty out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

New tires

Two weekends ago I went to run the trails at NCMP again and they are thrashed with some nasty ruts so I stuck to running some laps on the intermediate MX track the rest of the day. Worked one section at a time til I cleaned it then moved onto the next section of the track. Finally made a complete clean lap by the end of the day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Rode out at a new to me place called Twin Oaks on Saturday. Little privately owned track/trails in Asheboro. The woods loop was around 5 miles and a nice mix of faster double track with enough switchbacks to keep you on your toes and some short hill climbs and singletrack. Not nearly as rutted out as NCMP. It was a little slippery in the morning but by mid afternoon the clay had gotten really tacky. Hero dirt.

Rode three laps in the morning just to get to know the lines and the trail. Dropped some air pressure out of the tires and in the afternoon I put the phone on the tailgate and hit the stopwatch and made 3 laps. I'd come back to the truck and tap the lap timer and go back out at the end of each one to try and get the feel for riding at a faster pace for a long period of time. I'm still a little short on my stamina for running the hour and a half races for the NCHSA but getting better. All seat time.

Brought the bike home and had a good shop day on Sunday. Got it all cleaned up, checked a bunch of stuff and started mapping out a trail to cut in at Robbie's place. The numbers flew off thanks to the pressure washer which is perfect because I am about to have the number plates wrapped in white to complete the partial replica build like I have wanted to do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Some say you'll spend more on your gear than you do on the bike. Safety first.

Leatt GPX Trail Neck Brace

Brap Brap Brap
-> Off-Topic