-> Off-Topic -> What kinda gats you guys strapped with? Goto page 1, 2  Next
What kinda gats you guys strapped with?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

The GF and I took our CC class saturday so now we are both looking for guns.

She shot a 380 this weekend and really liked it, but I am leaning torward a 9mm or .45 for my 1st hand gun.

I like the look of the Glock 19, 30, and 36 but hey, I dont know much about any of them. What do you like?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

Glock. Period. If your life is on the line, there is no substitute. I carry a G29 myself most of the time. Sometimes in the winter I carry a G20. Do some research and see what you like to hold. I've shot Glocks all my life. I do like the feel of the S&W M&P pistols tho. As far as caliber, I almost always carry a 10mm. It's got the most knockdown power on the street. The same velocity at 100yds as a .45 at the muzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJP_FORoik

DAWGTOY wrote:
what ever you do don't google KY wrestlin match.
Re:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

5keepers wrote:
Glock. Period. If your life is on the line, there is no substitute. I carry a G29 myself most of the time. Sometimes in the winter I carry a G20. Do some research and see what you like to hold. I've shot Glocks all my life. I do like the feel of the S&W M&P pistols tho. As far as caliber, I almost always carry a 10mm. It's got the most knockdown power on the street. The same velocity at 100yds as a .45 at the muzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJP_FORoik

I have been reading, but like all things, depending on where you read you will get different storey's and opinions.

Maybe it because I dont know much about hand guns, but you dont really hear about 10mm stuff. When I think of ammo size I think 380, 9mm and 45. Then revolvers are 357/357 mag.

Are 10mm rounds hard to find? (in a normal market?)

What did you give for your 29?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

Always have to order 10mm ammo. I take my G30 to the range to practice. It's the same size as the G29 and kicks about the same. It costs a lot less to shoot being a .45 I Paid ~$550 for each. I swap out the springs and connectors in everything I carry to lighten/sharpen up the trigger pull. That'll cost you ~$60 per gun. Used Glocks are in the 400-500 range no matter what the age or condition. They simply don't wear out. I pretty much never clean mine. No troubles at all.

DAWGTOY wrote:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

My wife and I are going for our CC class next weekend. I bought my wife the Ruger LCR 357 and added Crimson Trace laser grips. I have a few handguns and have owned a few different ones through the years. Like Dawg said, Glocks are great handguns, and for the money, it's hard to beat them. I just recently purchased a HK P2000SK sub-compact .40 S&W. This is the best handgun I have ever owned. I bought it used, because I would never buy a new one, as I could buy 2 Glocks for the same money. However, it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot. I have put about 350 rounds through it and have no regrets. I like how the Smith & Wesson M&Ps feel. If you check out your local shooting ranges, you can usually rent different handguns, which can really help you to pick the right one.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
vvcrow
Trails Traveled
Trails Traveled

im a big fan of glock as well... Glock 19 is my current flavor but would eventually like to get a 36 since its a little thinner, shorter and has more knock down than a 9mm. Like Jimmy said the 10mm hits hard but id personally rather have abundant and cheap ammo available (not that there is such thing in any caliber currently). Honestly the 10mm might be easier to get hold of at the moment since it is higher priced.

NOW, that all the praise to Glock is out.... nothing wrong with a good .357 revolver as far as reliability goes but itll take a little longer to get used to shooting and there is the obvious limited ammo capacity. However would probably be less $$ on the front end. If you go revolver, get something that will shoot .357 mag and .38 special so you have a cheaper ammo option from the same gun.

my .02 cents. Good Luck and congrats on exercising your god given rights.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Springfield XD9mm Service...in the yuppie war wagon or on me wherever I go. Of all the polymer pistols its what I shoot the best. So when my life is on the line I could care less about name brand. A dead guy cant defend himself so god forbid the day I actually do have to defend myself or my family I want to know I will hit my target. Give me a Glock and the target will look like Michael J Fox on speed was shooting at it. Ergonomically they just dont agree with me for whatever reason.

Find a range that will rent guns. Buy a bunch of targets. Go shoot a bunch of different stuff and see what feels best to you and what you shoot the best.

As for caliber...I chose to get a 9mm because I could only afford one pistol at the time. Needed something I could carry every day and shoot at IDPA matches relatively cheap. About to pick up a Bersa Thunder .380 since its more concealable and the weather is warming up soon.

No experience with the XDS, M&P Shield and new slim Glock so I cant speak for those, but I would probably say youll find the same brand loyalty on those too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

I dont like Glocks. They are ugly. They look like a brick with a handle. HOWEVER, I know that they are one of the most reliable handguns on the market.

Choosing your CC gun is not an easy task. I cant conceal even a midsize handgun unless I am wearing a sweatshirt or a big coat. I carry a KelTec 380 every day. I can conceal it wearing bluejeans and a tshirt. Depending on the time of year and where I may be going, I have carried my Ruger SR9. It is a full size but is a good bit narrower than my 1911.

If I was going to buy a new weapon for concealed carry, It would probably be a XD9 or M&P 9mm. Glocks, XD, M&P are the "jeeps" of the gun world. There are accessories and aftermarket parts for them everywhere. Glocks moreso than the others.

If you decide to go with a Glock, remember that you qualify for the blue label program - military/leo discount and an extra magazine. I just bought a Glock 34 blue label for around $560 out the door. Immediately traded it for a Springfield 1911 with 5 mags and a range holster.

North Carolina Army National Guard Recruiter

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote
*darcy*
Trails For Life
Trails For Life

I'll post for Colin since he never says anything Very Happy

He carries an XD in .45 and seems to like it pretty well. (if you've never noticed it on him, then he's CC'ing correctly Smile

He has been looking at the XDs (when you can find them), for an even more concealable carry, but I personally didn't like it - it was almost too small (*thats what she said!) I do like the idea of the single stack making it a little thinner if i was to carry it though. I'm pretty sure the M&P isn't available in a .45, so that kind of ruled that one out.

At first I thought it was sort of weird that he ALWAYS had it ... but now I find it more weird when he doesnt. No I dont want to get involved in a gun fight, but the way to we go out on trails and camping or whatever- better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

but like everyone else said you just need to get a feel for what YOU like.... and especially the same for her - she has to be 100% comfortable loading, unloading, firing, and handling whatever she chooses... and be able to troubleshoot any problems with the gun that might be the difference between life and death. I know I'm still not 100% with handguns so if/when we get another one, there'll be a lot of practice (and patience) learning the ins and outs of it before I consider carrying it regularly.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

Pam and I both have our CC. She has a Ruger LCP .380 and i (sometimes) carry a Taurus .357 revolver.

The LCP is easy to conceal, but as small as it is and as short as the barrel is, its a very close range gun for me.

My .357 is the smallest framed revolver Taurus makes. I wouldnt really trust a cheap semi automatic pistol, but i feel like a revolver is so simple that even a cheap gun like a Taurus isnt really going to do anything wrong. I prefer to shoot .38 special with it, because it hurts your hand after 5-10 shots with .357. It stays loaded with .357 hollow points daily though, a sore hand doesnt really matter if you need to protect yourself.

You are welcome to shoot anything i have and my dad has several handguns also that we can shoot to see if you find anything you like. Obviously Nate has plenty to choose from also, but everything he likes makes my wallet hurt Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

back when it was legal i i used to keep a 38 in my pocket.
iv'e got my reasons to not want a cc permit. (tinfoil hat related)
but i do still carry sometimes anyway.

i just can't help but think that the permit / registration game is just
a way for the goverment to know who / where the guns are.
and i don't want em knockin on my door for anything.

wheel guns----dead nuts simple. and bullet placement seems
more important than capasity to me. (iv'e always been a pretty good shot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

Well, I have had my eye on a Ruger LCR.

DAWGTOY wrote:
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

5keepers wrote:
Well, I have had my eye on a Ruger LCR.

We shot 22s for the CC class. One was a Ruger LCR and the other was a revolver. I shot the revolver, but wasnt a fan really.. But the LCR kept miss feeding. The instuctor said it was because the shooter was "limp wristing it"

Lots of good info up there. Dont know what to say to most of. I will be reading and looking for what stikes my fancy. Im in no real rush.. I have lived 24 years with out a side arm, I can handle a few more months.

Brian- I see you have been reading on some of the Glock hater forums. Laughing The "block" look is what I like. I think cars looked better "blocky". Now everything has soft round corners...

I just need to man up and go straight the Desert Eagle. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 pm Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

A revolver was misfeeding?

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html

DAWGTOY wrote:
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
*darcy*
Trails For Life
Trails For Life

DAWGTOY wrote:

i just can't help but think that the permit / registration game is just
a way for the goverment to know who / where the guns are.

we have until next month to transfer the GA permits to TN resident status and TN is a bit ridiculous on what they require ... atleast $100 (ea.) for a required 8 hour class, and like $120 (ea.) for the actual permit/paperwork at the DMV. Then i think there is an annual cost to renew it? (need to check on that)

Sure you have the right to arms, but only if you can afford it!

sheesshhh... GA was like $55 for everything, finger prints at the sheriff's dept and file the paper at the courthouse.

I'd rather not shell out the money for it for ME now, but I dont really want to go to a class by myself later!
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

5keepers wrote:
A revolver was misfeeding?

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html

hmmm ok, Maybe the LCR was what I shot then.. The other gun was a 22, but was a simi auto pistol.
This... maybe
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/index.html

It was $75 for the class, then $90 to file the paper work and finger prints...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Mollie will probably be getting either a LCR or a SW J frame for her birthday in .38 flavor.

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Yotaoffroad27 wrote:
Brian- I see you have been reading on some of the Glock hater forums.

I dont pay that much attention to other people's opinions on their preferences when it comes to handguns. I mainly look at reliability and what is comfortable to ME.

I KNOW that Glocks are dead nuts reliable. Hell, you could bury one for a month and dig it up, chamber a round and it will fire and feed just like it should. I just dont like them.

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

sgtbriangreen wrote:

I KNOW that Glocks are dead nuts reliable. Hell, you could bury one for a month and dig it up, chamber a round and it will fire and feed just like it should. I just dont like them.

Seems like a good reason to not like them. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Not a fan of glocks. I let my cc run out and will not be renewing. Seems like a wast of time and money. If its concealed , no one is going to see it anyway, besides, all sorts of stuff so it's a 30% chance that you are breaking the permit by cc anywhere you go in your normal day to day routine, so I just do my thing and nones the wiser. Did you have class with officer coffee by chance? He's a Family friend and my brothers coworker. he offers the cc class in our area. And that's who I toke mine with

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

sgtbriangreen wrote:
Mollie will probably be getting either a LCR or a SW J frame for her birthday in .38 flavor.

I decided to go with the 357, since Amanda can shot 38s or 357s. She really likes the LCR, but it took a while for her to get comfortable with it. The gun is designed for 158 grain loads, which I learned the hard way. If Mollie wants to try it out, let her shot this one before you buy. The SW feather weights are great guns too.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

S&W 3913....9mm...Hornady's inside

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

ORV Design and Fab wrote:
Not a fan of glocks. I let my cc run out and will not be renewing. Seems like a wast of time and money. If its concealed , no one is going to see it anyway, besides, all sorts of stuff so it's a 30% chance that you are breaking the permit by cc anywhere you go in your normal day to day routine, so I just do my thing and nones the wiser. Did you have class with officer coffee by chance? He's a Family friend and my brothers coworker. he offers the cc class in our area. And that's who I toke mine with

No, I didnt take class with him. I heard about him, but my GF found a guy in person county that we went threw. Only 5 people in class, and he supplied the guns and ammo.

Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

NoLimitToyz wrote:
sgtbriangreen wrote:

I decided to go with the 357, since Amanda can shot 38s or 357s. She really likes the LCR, but it took a while for her to get comfortable with it. The gun is designed for 158 grain loads, which I learned the hard way. If Mollie wants to try it out, let her shot this one before you buy. The SW feather weights are great guns too.

I will definately be giving you a call in a couple months.

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 am Reply with quote
CoonDogger
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

sling shot!!!!!!!!! usually keep it in my boot. I keep rocks in my other boot. Very Happy

Political correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
What kinda gats you guys strapped with?
-> Off-Topic