-> Engine/Performance/Electronics/Interior -> My DD Tacoma is skipping school.
My DD Tacoma is skipping school.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

well, I know I could probably google search and find some help, but this place is dead.. so I figured I would give you boring SOB something to do.

Subject:

1996 Toyota Tacoma 5 lug, 2rz 5 speed with 204k miles. Still has that same motor noise/rattle it has had now since I got it with 134k on it. It louder now, but not bad.

Yesterday I was playing musical trucks and dropped the dodge off at Dad's and picking up my Tacoma. started fine and drove good on the driveway going about 15mph. Pulled out on the street and felt it start to miss under load. I didnt really drive it too hard, had the ol ma-dray in the car with me, but vould feel it miss everyonce in a wile. about half way home (about the time it warmed up) it started to drive fine and not miss.

This morning same thing, Jumped in started up, and pulled out of the driveway. this time I was a little harder on it and the harder i was on it the worse the miss was. To the point if I want more than 1/2 throttle it would not go any faster. Once it warmed up It ran fine.

In school I was told that Mechanical problems get getter with speed/rpm and electrical problems get worse with speed/rpm. So I would assume it has to be electrical. Friday when I parked it at Dad's it was fine,and really this the 1st time it has done this.

What are your thoughts??

I was thinking maybe fuel filter or bad fuel, but it wouldnt care if the the engine was up to temp or not right?

The truck has distributor, so no coil packs... Plugs are about 2 years old at the most, but is has OEM wires on it. Bad wire maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

when you say oem do you mean the ones that came with the truck?
have they got 230 thou miles on em?
time----past time for a new set---get em from jimmy as regular
parts house stuff ain't as good imo.

dawgspark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

DAWGTOY wrote:
when you say oem do you mean the ones that came with the truck?
have they got 230 thou miles on em?
time----past time for a new set---get em from jimmy as regular
parts house stuff ain't as good imo.

dawgspark

yea they are the OG wires. I guess they break down over time? Being 65* or so vs what ever the valve cover and engine compartment temp is will cause them to work differently?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:44 pm Reply with quote
94mitz
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

old hampsters......... Take alittle wile to warm up, but once warmed up, they run on the hampster wheel pretty good....
Re:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

94mitz wrote:
old hampsters......... Take alittle wile to warm up, but once warmed up, they run on the hampster wheel pretty good....

those old hampster run good enough to leave a Titan in the dust. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
94mitz
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

Nasty
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Sleepy
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Plug wires, put new ones on!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

Sleepy wrote:
Plug wires, put new ones on!

Jimmy shipped my some BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN new ones yesterday. Although, it has not skipped a beat once since monday morning? Same tank of fuel, and I still have not openend the hood yet... Some how some water got into something under the hood wile it sat for 2 days??

gremlinsallovertheplacestressingme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

swapped the new plug wires in and in the process I found that the number 3 plug wire had left the end snapped to the spark plug. Maybe that was the problem... Maybe it was fine and broke when I pulled it out.. There was one spot on the number 2 plug wire where the fuel pressure reg vacuum line has been laying on the wire for the last 16 years and worn a little groove in the outer coating, but other than that they looked fine, not even that dirty...

Last edited by Yotaoffroad27 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
BillyP
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

Yotaoffroad27 wrote:
swapped the new plug wires in and in the process I found that the number plug wire and left the end snapped to the spark plug. Maybe that was the problem... Maybe it was fine and broke when I pulled it out.. There was one spot on the number 2 plug wire where the fuel pressure reg vacuum line has been laying on the wire for the last 16 years and worn a little groove in the outer coating, but other than that they looked fine, not even that dirty...

So did the missing problem go away?
Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

BillyP wrote:
Yotaoffroad27 wrote:
swapped the new plug wires in and in the process I found that the number plug wire and left the end snapped to the spark plug. Maybe that was the problem... Maybe it was fine and broke when I pulled it out.. There was one spot on the number 2 plug wire where the fuel pressure reg vacuum line has been laying on the wire for the last 16 years and worn a little groove in the outer coating, but other than that they looked fine, not even that dirty...

So did the missing problem go away?

It only missed on 2 occasions, sunday night, and monday morning. Monday afternoon, tuesday morning, tuesday afternoon, wednesday morning and after noon, and thursday morning and afternoon it ran just like it always has. I changed the plug wires lastnight, so to say that plugs fixed the problem, I dont know, I t ran fine this morning. There was an issue when I pulled the #3 plug wire out, I dont know if it was broken before I pulled it out or not.. Time will tell I guess..

My DD Tacoma is skipping school.
-> Engine/Performance/Electronics/Interior