-> Tow Rigs -> Check your tires
Check your tires
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

About 3 years ago i bought 4 new Maxxis M8008 trailer tires. Did plenty of research and they got great reviews. Stepped up in size from a 205/75/15 to a 225/75/15 for extra capacity, lower tire temps and could get them in load range e. They have been great, so great that i hardly ever look at them. They never leak air, I check them about 3 times a year and the pressure never drops. Ive put probbaly 8000 miles on them if i had to guess.

I went to uwharrie in June, truck had a vibration i had never felt before at 70 mph. Didnt think much of it, just rolled on and had no issues. Went again a few weeks back and it was really shaking. Got tired of feeling the vibes, and was in a hurry on the way home, found that 80mph was smooth so thats what i ran most of the way home.

Started thinking about my upcoming trip to Windrock and decided to check over the trailer to see if i could find my vibration. Both right side tires are trash. Tread is separating on the front one in a spot about 15" long, tire has a huge bulge in the tread too. Tire behind it isnt loosing the tread yet, but has a giant lump in it too. Two left side tires look perfect.

Havent hit any curbs, always careful with the trailer, tires are always run at max pressure, bearings are good, basically nothing to worry about. Just goes to show you that you have to check over things cause you never know. Even when you take care of your equipment, you can still have issues.

Sure glad i found it now instead of at 10pm on the way to windrock when the rest of the tread flew off. Going to buy 2 more tomorrow and hope the left side ones hold up for a while longer. They look good, no cracking and the tread is deep. The right side tires sit in the sun most of the day, the lefts are in the shade, might have something to do with it. 3 year baking in the sun might have taken its toll on them.

Just a little reminder to check out your rig before you hit the road.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

Tell dustin to stock 4 more of those for me in the 205 flavor. Ill be looking for them the 1st week in August.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:51 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

If you are serious, i will get him to order them with mine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:19 am Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

That was the problem with my Kaufman trailer. It constantly ate the right ride tires. The inside edges were always chopped up and wore out after a few thousand miles. I measured and adjusted the axles a few times, replaced that front axle assembly, switched tire brands, still destroyed right side tires til the day I sold it.

DAWGTOY wrote:
what ever you do don't google KY wrestlin match.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
92illpony
Trails Conquered
Trails Conquered

Had 2 blow outs on Sunday in 20 miles and a 3rd about too. Belts are going.
Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

5keepers wrote:
That was the problem with my Kaufman trailer. It constantly ate the right ride tires. The inside edges were always chopped up and wore out after a few thousand miles. I measured and adjusted the axles a few times, replaced that front axle assembly, switched tire brands, still destroyed right side tires til the day I sold it.

Thats the weird part, the tread is worn completely smooth, no cupping at all, they look perfect until you roll the tire around and feel the big lump in the middle of it. I thought it was weird that both right sides did it too, but since the tread is wearing perfect i dont think there is an issue with anything other than the tires.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:55 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

Cumminsdzl wrote:
If you are serious, i will get him to order them with mine.

100% serious. Ill be looking for them Aug 6th. Its my B-day and Ill be off, so I can go get them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

Ok, ill get him to order them.

-> Tow Rigs