-> Tow Rigs -> On to tha next one....
On to tha next one....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

'07 3500 Cummins. 6.7L, 6-sp manual. 4x4. Dually, crew cab. 105K. Silver. Rocketship. Exhaust break Very Happy gooseneck hitch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

Dropped my gooseneck trailer on my tailgate, came up with a solution...

I've been considering building/buying a flatbed for my truck for a while. A few weeks ago, it was settled...and not by my choice(well, kinda lol). I crested a steeper than anticipated decent and dropped the neck of my gooseneck onto my tailgate. Now, the damage wasn't that bad but, it aggravated me.

The next day, my wife and I went and looked at CM Flatbeds in Harmony, NC. I knew roughly what it was going to cost before I went. Nevertheless, I was surprised to find out that the style I wanted was in the $6,000 range.

I'm a licensed electrician by trade but, I also have a full metal working shop(I use to build rock crawlers). After leaving, I decided "Piss on 'em, I'll build it my self".

I knew what I wanted, I knew how I wanted to build it, I knew how to build it. So, on to the pictures.
Also, you'll notice a rise in the front of the truck and a tire/wheel change in the pictures lol
Tires/wheels before were stock 17"s and 235 Goodyear Wrangler M/T's
Tires/wheels now are steel 19.5" and 245/70/r19.5 Cooper Roadmasters

Leveling Kit is a 2" HellBent
Truck Before

After I decided to do the build I went out junkyarding to source a utility bed that I could cut up. I wanted as many boxes as possible and I figured I could cut one up. I was only partially correct in my thinking. I did find a Knapheid very close for $50! The down side was that the driver side of the bed had some damage. The front door was bent up pretty good and was going to be unusable. I found a door on ebay for $125 to replace the smashed one.

Once I got it back to the shop, I started to look at the fenders on the utility bed. I cut one off, lifted it up and realized it would be doable to possibly reuse them on my bed.

Partially cut up

Time to pull the bed, I love having equipment to do the heavy lifting Smile

I went to the local steel supply and picked up some metal to get started
I picked up 20' of 2x4" 3/16" wall, tubing
20' (4") "C" Channel
60' (3") "C" Channel
20' (2") 3/8" strip
4x8' 1/8" diamond plate
4x8' 1/8" smooth plate

No pics of that though

After a ton of measuring, cutting, remeasuring and then changing my mind a little bit I had the frame squared and started welding. I originally planned on using the 4" "C" Channel for the frame but decided to go with the 2x4" instead.

The previous owner of my truck had welded a piece of 8" "C" Channel to the frame for their gooseneck hitch mount...this was functional but I sure did not like it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

Today, we got the driver side back plate cut(not yet installed due to fuel hose needed), the top for the passenger side big box, both tops for the long boxes. I decided to do the tops out of diamond plate(just incase I gotta step on them). I also made the gusset for the receiver hitch.

Here are a few overall pictures of the truck

Tomorrow, I plan on getting the top welded on the box, the fuel hose figured out, and the big part-I'm going to make a valiant attempt at getting the back put on. I'm working my way around the truck.

I'll snag a few pics of how I mounted it tomorrow. I'm using all of the stock bed mounting locations and a few more that I found would work(with a little motivation). I'll get you a measurement on clearance.
I got the top put on the tall front box

I ran into an issue, I've never had this happen before-I got close to the end of the spool and the welder stopped spooling out but, there was still wire on the spool. The feeder was still spinning but no wire. I found the problem...the spool was busted!

Now that that is fixed, back to work..
I took a few pics of the bed mounting also

I got the tail section built! That's a whole lot of measuring and holesawing and cutting. I will say this also, she's got a big .

I also got the bottoms in both of the long side boxes and got both of the tops cut and figured out
[img:15c483d31d]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/ROCKWELLEDTOYOTA/photobucket-1169-1338586188533.jpg[/img:1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

I wanted foot holes(hidden steps) to be able to get stuff from inside the front of the bed and to be able to tie things down
I took a piece of 6" "C" Channel, cut one of the sides off of it and welded a piece of tread plate to it. I then welded the "step" to the back side of the front compartments.

Here's my answer to hauling cones without having "utility truck" mounts on either the front or the bed of the truck. This completely recesses up to 3 cones under the bed. It's a piece of thick wall tubing, the cones have a hole in the center of them that allows me to slide the cones onto the tubing. There are a few pieces of misc metal in there that keep the cones from falling straight down.

And here it is, skinned!

During the process...one large sheet, before the cutting of the tire cutout, the step and the box

Wheel well marked and a hole cut to mark the inside of the rear underbody box.

Passenger side cutout and on!

Driver side cutout and on!

The front door is partially welded on

Here is looking from the back, into the top of the side box.
Driver side

Passenger side

Hopefully I can get a little time tomorrow to get the hinge and door on the deck lid, the frame around the top of the driver side box, the tubes for the removable ladder rack and the door for the lower underbody box.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

Justin I'm seriously impressed. Looks awesome man. Its been hard to tell from the pics you've been texting me just how nice it looks.

Looking forward to seeing it finished and all LED'd up

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
BUBBA
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Looks awesome.I've not seen many beds that I like the looks of but man I like that one.Great work.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
StevenK
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

I work at a facility that builds custom utility truck bodies and that is a huge undertaking to first get it square, but also to make it look good. And that looks amazing. Nice job!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:50 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

nice looking bed work justin.
keep them wheel opening cutouts and make some
removable fender skirts. dare to be different.

dawg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

DAMMIT BOY! That is the best lookin flatbed/utility bed I have ever seen. Cant wait to see it all finished up.

North Carolina Army National Guard Recruiter

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

Saw this in person on Wednesday. This thing is awesome. Justin hasn't missed anything in this build. Top Notch!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

Y'all want some more piktars!
PICTURES!

I have to do some slight modifications to the door as it will hit the rubber gasket for the LED on the rear corner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

Here you can see how the door is warped...It might be because I beat the piss out of it with a hammer

Here's how I move things around, anything over about 50 lbs-I go get a tractor-What can I say, I don't like carrying heavy stuff lol

I stood it on its end so I could weld all the pieces under the bed that I couldn't get to with it on the truck or upside down. Man, this thing is massive.

Here's a picture with a reference for you-the guy standing next to it is 6'2"-He's the lucky fellow who gets to do all the grinding hahaha

Partially Primed! It was 106* here today, way too hot to be outside. I ran out of primer and mineral spirits.

Also, you can see I added a latch and hinge over the road cone hole. Too many thieves around now-a-days.
I decided to use expanded metal on the headache rack. It was simple, functional, flowed with the bed and most importantly I had it already

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
Verlye

UNBREAKABLE wrote:
Y'all want some more piktars!
PICTURES!

I have to do some slight modifications to the door as it will hit the rubber gasket for the LED on the rear corner

You led lights looks nice but what about the performance?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Performance...Drove it today. For having such a heavy flatbed on it this thing will flat haul the mail. I was impressed with how smooth the powerband in the truck is considering most turbodiesels are a turd until the turbo starts spooling.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
UNBREAKABLE
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

-> Tow Rigs