-> Rig Buildup -> Project Nightmare!
Project Nightmare!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

I was recently collecting parts to do a Yota axle swap on my Sami. After gathering almost everything that I needed, I had a 89 Yota cab and frame end up at my house! But I have been wanting to do a Yota build for a while. So, to make a long story short, I am know building a Toyota. I bought 94 Toyota that has a brand new engine, but it has been rolled over. I have already done a cab swap to get it driveable. After making it DDable, I will use the axles and parts that I have collected to officially start the build. I have the following parts so far:
99 4runner rear axle with 4.30 E-locker
85 Front axle with Hi-steer, FJ-80 rotors, and IFS hubs/calipers
Marlin spring perches
63" Chevy Springs
Bilstien 14" shocks
35" Mud Kings on steel wheels
Extra tcase for dual set-up
I still need to buy the dual case adapter, Lock-rite or Aussie for front, and a 4.7 gear set for the rear case. I am planning on a full exo and bobbing the bed around 12". Here are pics of the two trucks that I am starting with. I am planning on painting the entire truck Desert Camo Tan with everything else black. Please feel free to offer comments and advice as I move forward. I am new to the Toyota builds, so I will be asking for advice along the way.

Look familiar! Very Happy

The rolled 94! Shock

Last edited by NoLimitToyz on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
After the cab swap.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

The first test drive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

LOOKIN GOOD!!! was mike able to help you out?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

He only had a pre-92 dash, which is the one piece. Thanks for the help though. He was very nice and helpful.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:08 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

ahh dang.. well sorry he couldnt help the truck looks good though!!!

Update
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

I just thought I would give a little update on this project. It has been on hold while I was finishing my wife's Samurai build. In the meantime, I have been collecting parts for this build. However, I have changed my mind in regards to what I want this truck to become. I want to run 37s or 38.5s, which means the 4.30 Elocker and front diff will not work. I know I need to run 5.29s. So here is what I have collected in the last 2-3 months.
Marlin MC07 Dual Case adapter rotated 10 degrees
Marlin 4.7 23 spline case gears for the rear case
Marlin Twin stick
BudBuilt Crossmember (flat since I am running body lift)
14" Bilsteins for the rear
Custom hybrid packs for front springs
63" Chevys for the rear
U-bolt flips

I bought Brian's front axle from his 89, which I was planning on running after changing the diff to 4.30's to match the Elocker rear. Now, that plans changed, I have bought a set of built axles.
The specs on the new axles:
84 front with IFS hubs and calipers, FJ 80 rotors, 5.29s, Longfields, Detroit, trussed, and Hydro assist
88 rear welded with 5.29s, rear disc brakes
Basically, I only need tires, wheels, and front shocks.
I would like to buy new BFG KM2s and find some beadlocks.
However, I have a question about the front shocks. I have a tube bender and plan to bend custom shock hoops for the front. Do you guys think I should run Bilstein 12" or 14" shocks on the front?
I am new to this and this is my first Yota build. ALL ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks.
Build time is here.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

This build has taken another turn. I bought the green extended cab from UNBREAKABLE, so I am putting it on my regular cab frame.
I now have the dual case set-up complete. I removed the bed tonight, and started getting ready for the cab swap. Once the blue cab is off, I am going to install the dual cases, BudBuilt cross member, and do the SAS with the axles I purchased. I will post up pics later. I have a few more things to collect. I hope to have the cab off by this weekend.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

I have now completed the SAS. I have postponed the cab swap for now. I would like to get the duals installed and get it wheelable ASAP. I hope to have it ready in a few weeks.
SAS Update
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

I have gotten the SAS complete, but I am still waiting on my shackles to complete it. I used these axles for moch-up, but I need to switch them out with my built axles. Here is a pic as it sits now.

I hope to switch in the axles this week and start the shock mounts. I still need to install the duals and have driveshafts made.
A little update..
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
NoLimitToyz
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

This truck was never finished. It was parted out and mostly sold. I kept the engine, transmission, and t-case. They were put in a 1992 Extended cab 4x4, which I now use as my DD. It is basically bone stock on 31s. I thought I wanted to get out of wheelin for a while, but that didn't last long. Laughing
Project Nightmare!
-> Rig Buildup