Featured Truck: GSRswapandslow

NCTTORA Forum Index -> Suspension -> What would be a good way to lift my truck.
What would be a good way to lift my truck.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
stickler2

Ive looked at many types of spacers and im debating on what to get. The strut spacers seem to be good, easy to install. Im looking for a quality lift for a decent price. I dont want to go out and blow 300 dollars im tryin to keep it reasonable. anyone have any suggestions??

much more to come shortly ( 3 Inch lift, Helo maxx6 rims, BFG a/t's, ARB bumper or brush guard)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:36 am Reply with quote
CoonDogger
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

Nice first post.................. Cool $300 is pretty cheap. Is it blowing it if that's what you want?

Welcome to our board.

Last edited by CoonDogger on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Political correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
XXXterra
Trails Conquered
Trails Conquered

We have a new guy section, try there first then ask questions.

Body lift is the cheapest way to go for the most lift, but I'm a Nissan guy.

2005 F350 6.0 4x4 tow rig
2000 Nissan Xterra trail rig
2010 SR5 4Runner 4WD stock
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote
stickler2

300 is kind of pushing it for my limit, I just got out of high school and am paying for college, and Im still trying to pay off my truck Neutral. I had looked on ebay a few days back and saw a procomp with the Aluminum Strut Spacers and the AAL. is that a good first set up for 160?

much more to come shortly ( 3 Inch lift, Helo maxx6 rims, BFG a/t's, ARB bumper or brush guard)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
stickler2

XXXterra wrote:

Yes i know that you can get the most lift with one, but i have done my reasearch and if im going to go 6 inches or bigger im going to redo the whole front end with they Fabtech 6 inch, and then you can also add spacers for the struts or coils. But body lifts are also alof of stress on your truck as well, so i have read and they also make the ride alot stiffer and rough

Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

stickler2 wrote:
XXXterra wrote:

Yes i know that you can get the most lift with one, but i have done my reasearch and if im going to go 6 inches or bigger im going to redo the whole front end with they Fabtech 6 inch, and then you can also add spacers for the struts or coils. But body lifts are also alof of stress on your truck as well, so i have read and they also make the ride alot stiffer and rough

While i dont like body lifts, i can 100% assure you they will not make your truck ride stiffer. Think about it, all they do is space the body away from the frame. Nothing about that can make your truck ride bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
stickler2

cumminsdzl wrote:
stickler2 wrote:
XXXterra wrote:

While i dont like body lifts, i can 100% assure you they will not make your truck ride stiffer. Think about it, all they do is space the body away from the frame. Nothing about that can make your truck ride bad.

I dont know honestly, im going by what the guy at the shop told me, he said he wouldnt reccomend them?????

Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
xtoy_boy35
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

stickler2 wrote:
cumminsdzl wrote:
stickler2 wrote:
XXXterra wrote:

I dont know honestly, im going by what the guy at the shop told me, he said he wouldnt reccomend them?????

sounds like somebody wanted some more money...

'07 Chevy Duramax LBZ-4x4/ CC/ SB
'84 Toyota Extra Cab-4x4/ propane/ longs/ duals w/ 4.7/ UFAB tubework/ 38's yada yada...
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:00 pm Reply with quote
CoonDogger
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

stickler2 wrote:

I don't recommend that shop. Laughing Drive over there.... kick him in the nutz and say "That's from NCTTORA" Laughing

Political correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
stickler2

CoonDogger wrote:
stickler2 wrote:

I don't recommend that shop. Laughing Drive over there.... kick him in the nutz and say "That's from NCTTORA" Laughing

haha so a 2 inch body lift and a 3 inch suspension lift would be a good idea? cause if so then hell ill go buy them spacers for 70 dollars and a short AAL for like 40 then the body lift later on.

anyone in the raleigh aera know where i can get a good job?? my jobs sucks and i make at most 120 a week

Re:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
xtoy_boy35
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

[quote="stickler2"]
CoonDogger wrote:
stickler2 wrote:
I dont know honestly, im going by what the guy at the shop told me, he said he wouldnt reccomend them?????[/quote

haha so a 2 inch body lift and a 3 inch suspension lift would be a good idea? cause if so then hell ill go buy them spacers for 70 dollars and a short AAL for like 40 then the body lift later on.

anyone in the raleigh aera know where i can get a good job?? my jobs sucks and i make at most 120 a week

what kinda work you lookin?

Last edited by xtoy_boy35 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

'07 Chevy Duramax LBZ-4x4/ CC/ SB
'84 Toyota Extra Cab-4x4/ propane/ longs/ duals w/ 4.7/ UFAB tubework/ 38's yada yada...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
stickler2

im just lookin for a job that i will somewhat enjoy and make good money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
paradisepwoffrd
Trails Traveled
Trails Traveled

If you wanna wheel it... get this:
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48661

and a good job...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
zosimov21
Admin
Admin

you could get OME setup for the front with $300 or so

http://www.rocky-road.com/tacoma.html

replaces the stock stuff and you can do it yourself. I'd get a buddy to help you with this stuff and save shop labor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Depends on what your goals are for the truck and how often you plan on wheeling it. Since you already have a locker out back you are pretty well equipped to do a good bit of wheeling. That will help you out more than a large lift and tires. Does no good if those meats don't have traction.

The Fabtech Kit looks cool but does nothing for offroad ability. And it costs a shitton for what it is.

For a DD/Weekend Wheeler, OME Springs and Struts and add a leafs out back or run the ToyTec Spacers up front and an AAL out back. If you are still looking to run larger tires than this will allow I suggest getting out the cutoff tools and trimming your fenders. Body lifts only raise the C0G of your truck and make them more unstable offroad.

That SAS Kit that was posted is a VERY well put together kit and Nate does some awsome work. There is nothing wrong with it. Only downside there is that it is wider than your rear axle and you would want to swap in a Full Width Rear axle like a Dana 6O to accomodate for it. Seeing as how you have the already very stout Elocked toy axle it wouldn't make much sense on a budget.

My reccomendation: ToyTec Spacers or OME 882's up front and an Add A Leaf out back. Get you some 33'ish tires then get some armor for that baby. Budbuilt Skid Plates and some sliders from Unbreakable Fab, both here in NC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
XXXterra
Trails Conquered
Trails Conquered

The advice that everyone will give here will be, figure what you want to do with the rig and have a plan. I bet everyone has bought parts lift kits etc and have taken half of them off and redone something. I know I have wasted hundreds of dollars on things and have taken them all off. If you plan on keeping the truck our DD with light wheeling do the body lift save your money. If you decide to SAS that truck down the road, do the spacer and the add a leafs. Think long term.
If you wheel with club people will have your truck cut in half, tubed out and SAS with lockers after the first run. Laughing

2005 F350 6.0 4x4 tow rig
2000 Nissan Xterra trail rig
2010 SR5 4Runner 4WD stock
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
codyjh
Stinky Muppet
Stinky Muppet

Welcome, Stretch and Mark had some good advice. Then again, so did Jamie with the "Thats from NCTTORA" action!

If youd like, check my build thread. The only thing I would have done differently was ditch the BL.

4:88's / Lock-right / Maxxis Bighorns
Unbreakable Fab Sliders, Front & Rear bumper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
TUFF TACO
Wheeler
Wheeler

the best deal i have found on spacers and cheaper lifts is toytech. they send you everything you need and have very good custiomer service. my truck is on 33s with some mild triming up front. i have 2 inch spacers and toytechs thick ass shackles in rear with 10in travel 5125 bilsteins. my truck will do almost anyting i want it to do for a daily driver. stretch knows my truck will hold its own just i like the hoe runner did. but i was thinking about a fabtech but wheeling that lift isnt a good idea. its just to look good and fit 35s. im doin uca's with camburgs coilovers. and deavers in the rear. if u want to wheel it alot do it right and buy quality parts cause cheaper isnt allways better. and i dont do BLs over 2in. hope this helps.

83 FLAT BED project- just getting started 33 tsls rear thornbirds front lincon locked rear
What would be a good way to lift my truck.
NCTTORA Forum Index -> Suspension