-> Upcoming Events -> Next ride: Crozet 3/1 - 3/2 (new date) Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Next ride: Crozet 3/1 - 3/2 (new date)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

I was thinking about the ncttora schedule and April 4th just seems like too long to wait for our next ride. Ideally, we'd pick the weekend right between now and Harlan but a few of the regulars have schedules to work around and this seemed like the best fit.

Soooooo, get your sleeping bag packed and your tires inflated. You're going to be driving out of a few near flops. Super

As for logistics, most of the guys will probably arrive Friday night and wheel Saturday and part of Sunday. I *think* that camping and passengers are free while each rig costs $30 a day but I'll have to confirm that. (I'm sure passengers will chip in with any expenses.)

If you zoom in on Virginia you'll find my marker for Crozet.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&om=0&msa=0&msid=105464932761916536635.00000111c1fa528af5a77&z=4

Edit:Due to all the complexities of booking a small run at Crozet I had to move the date up by one week. We're just too small to book it as a club (and it we were bigger it's booked by another club that weekend) and we're too big for everybody to go as my guest. BTW, I talked to Shawn and he said he's coming.

Last edited by vanguard on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

I'm checking with Pam tonight, but i should be ready to ride. This is a short drive for me. Not much different than Uwharrie. My passenger seat is open, the sexier you are, the better chance you have of riding shotgun Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

cumminsdzl wrote:
My passenger seat is open, the sexier you are, the better chance you have of riding shotgun Very Happy
I'm in baby!!! No way you guys can compete with this hawtness. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

I may be in for this one. I need to shake down the new/old ride and get a little experience behind the wheel in it. Plus I have a week of vacation that I need to use before 4-1-2008. If I can find some wheels before then that is.

DAWGTOY wrote:
what ever you do don't google KY wrestlin match.
Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

5keepers wrote:
get a little experience behind the wheel in it
That's my favorite part about Crozet. You can get more experience there before lunch than you can at tellico in a 3 day weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
TUFF TACO
Wheeler
Wheeler

im in if anyone has an open seat. how hard are the trails??

83 FLAT BED project- just getting started 33 tsls rear thornbirds front lincon locked rear
Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

TUFF TACO wrote:
Crozet is a little different than most of the places we go. I break OHV parks into two classes, trail systems and playgrounds. Mountain City, Harlan, Tellico, Windrock, etc. are trail systems. Their trails go on for miles. Crozet, Devil's Playground, and Gray Rock (sort of) are more like playgrounds. You're always close to the tow rig and the trails are only a block or two long.

Crozet has a few mild trails but I think you would run out of stuff to do in a few hours. The real beauty of Crozet is that it has 5-14' rocks that are almost vertical and have great traction. You can go up and down them all day long but I tend to avoid the red trails, they are insane. Obstacles are only 15 yards apart so you get a lot of valuable seat time in a single day. The owner is an ex-pro rock crawler and he spots you over the crazy stuff, it's kind of like being in driving school.

Here are a few vids that provide an example of the blue/black lines. Like I said above, the red stuff is hardly even wheeling to me. It's just dropping your rig off a 15'+ cliff. I already spend as much time wrenching as I do driving. I try to avoid certain carnage.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3185450625965076/untitled_0002/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/6985294595965086/untitled_0004/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/8096026095969416/rob_cliff_hanger/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4071367065969396/rob_almost_endo_at_house/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/5643209455969246/buggy_flop_at_body_shop/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Im game if there is a passenger seat open....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
jph0913
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

Woody, Im game for a trip to crozet

Are you camping in the cow pasture, or the other camp grounds down the road?

www.cnc4x4.org
Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
CoonDogger
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

cumminsdzl wrote:
the sexier you are, the better chance you have of riding shotgun Very Happy

WELL HELL...................... This means me! YES!!! I knew it! Laughing

Political correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

the dawgs in

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:54 am Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

jph0913 wrote:
Woody, Im game for a trip to crozet

Are you camping in the cow pasture, or the other camp grounds down the road?
We usually camp in the cow pasture, actually it's the only place I've ever camped. It's main benefit is that it's free and since a lot of us don't have street legal rigs it's nice not to have to load up the trailer.

Having said that, I'm sure we could leave the rigs there if we wanted to so that problem would be solved. The trip is in the first half of march so it might be nice to have the campfire closer to where we actually camp.

I'm open to anything.

Group: Would you rather stay in the cow pasture or at a nicer (costlier) camp down the road?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

I'm sleeping in the back seat of my truck, so basically as long as there is a toilet within walking distance im fine either way. I'll be in the pasture...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
95pinoyT4R
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

If I get my truck done by then, which I should, Im in.

Soon to have a 3.4l and manual
Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
5keepers
Chapter President

95pinoyT4R wrote:
If I get my truck done by then, which I should, Im in.

Yoou still lookin a 3.0 ?

DAWGTOY wrote:
what ever you do don't google KY wrestlin match.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

i'll be in the dawg haus.

letasleepindawglay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

So far we have 4 people going and a couple of maybes. I just got off the phone with Chris and kind of like last year, the organization is a little complicated. Here's the deal.

* The cost is $30 a day and we need 10 rigs to book the place as a club. If we don't have 10 rigs we can always prepay $300 and split the cost. For example, he doesn't care if we have 6 rigs paying $50 each. However, we can't book this weekend because another club has booked it.

* A member can bring himself + 2 rigs (three total). That's useful info but not all that helpful for our runs without more members.

* The weekend of 3/8 is booked by dark side offroad. I've heard they are totally cool and would probably be fine with us joining their club ride. We'd just prepay them and "join" their club for the trip. Their rate is a little more than $30 a day because they have a raffle, lunch, dinner, etc. This sounds like a good way to go.

* The weekend before, 3/1, is an open run where all this scheduling stuff goes away. However, Grant has a furniture market that weekend and he seems to get screwed way too often so we're trying to avoid that.

* The last option would be for me to go to the crozet forum and beg for more members to take us under their wings. Member and their friends can go anytime regardless of whether or not a club has booked the place. I'd need about 3 of them to handle a group our size. Normally that's easy but with the open run the weekend prior it will be harder to find people that didn't just go to that or that want to go two weekends in a row.

Soooooo, what do you guys think? I'm tempted to join the dark side offroad club and enjoy their dinner, raffle, etc. They are big enough to solve our problem of being too small for a club run but too big to go as my guests.

Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
DIRTYD
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

cumminsdzl wrote:
I'm sleeping in the back seat of my truck, so basically as long as there is a toilet within walking distance im fine either way. I'll be in the pasture...

yo kyle can I ride wit you as long as I got my cribbing situation strait?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
gtrobb
... and Blue does it like nobody's business
... and Blue does it like nobody's business

Woody, I appreciate the concern, but do NOT avoid 3/1 because of me...getting Blue in Crozet-capable condition is, at best, a longshot right now.

Rumors are going around that I won't be needed for pre-market that weekend, anyway - it looks like a Sales-focused operation that day.

Shoot for 3/1 if that's available.

Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
machine380
Wheeler
Wheeler

vanguard wrote:
TUFF TACO wrote:
Crozet is a little different than most of the places we go. I break OHV parks into two classes, trail systems and playgrounds. Mountain City, Harlan, Tellico, Windrock, etc. are trail systems. Their trails go on for miles. Crozet, Devil's Playground, and Gray Rock (sort of) are more like playgrounds. You're always close to the tow rig and the trails are only a block or two long.

Crozet has a few mild trails but I think you would run out of stuff to do in a few hours. The real beauty of Crozet is that it has 5-14' rocks that are almost vertical and have great traction. You can go up and down them all day long but I tend to avoid the red trails, they are insane. Obstacles are only 15 yards apart so you get a lot of valuable seat time in a single day. The owner is an ex-pro rock crawler and he spots you over the crazy stuff, it's kind of like being in driving school.

Here are a few vids that provide an example of the blue/black lines. Like I said above, the red stuff is hardly even wheeling to me. It's just dropping your rig off a 15'+ cliff. I already spend as much time wrenching as I do driving. I try to avoid certain carnage.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3185450625965076/untitled_0002/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/6985294595965086/untitled_0004/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/8096026095969416/rob_cliff_hanger/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4071367065969396/rob_almost_endo_at_house/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/5643209455969246/buggy_flop_at_body_shop/

So are these vids the red trails? If not I would hate to see them, that was some pretty serious crawling

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

machine380 wrote:
So are these vids the red trails? If not I would hate to see them, that was some pretty serious crawling
Those are blue and black trails. I not sure I've ever run anything that Chris considers red. The rating system at Crozet is a litte skewed. Rausch Creek considers uwharrie stuff to be black or red. Crozet doesn't call it red unless it's a crazy endo trail.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote
RamJetGMC
Trails Traveled
Trails Traveled

post this on www.rightcoast4x4.com
if you are trying to get more people
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Due to all the complexities of booking a small run at Crozet I had to move the date up by one week. We're just too small to book it as a club (and it we were bigger it's booked by another club that weekend) and we're too big for everybody to go as my guest. BTW, I talked to Shawn and he said he's coming.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
TUFF TACO
Wheeler
Wheeler

im in. will have camera in hand the whole time. that place looks crazy. my taco dnt want any of that.

83 FLAT BED project- just getting started 33 tsls rear thornbirds front lincon locked rear
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
CoonDogger
Golden Toyota Wrencher
Golden Toyota Wrencher

I might come! I loved Crozet, but........ it's either Crozet or DPG........ Woody, I might just get that stuff from Crozet and not over the weekend of the 16th.

Political correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Next ride: Crozet 3/1 - 3/2 (new date)
-> Upcoming Events