Featured Truck: tyotayoda

NCTTORA Forum Index -> Rig Buildup -> project DIRT DOBBER Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
project DIRT DOBBER
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

well i got kyle's truck and while kyle did a great job with eye sore, i am wanting to make it my own. i am going to try and keep the welder away from it for the time being and just have fun with it.

just looking at it, it has a sleek, fast stance, like a wasp, being flat black and being i can't stay out of the mud, it was named the dirt dobber.

future plans:

i do have a new thunder bird hood that i plan to cut up to make a hood for it, get the crushed sheet metal off the sides of it and add a lil tubing. i am going to try and keep it lite tho. thinking some of kyle's success with eyesore was the light weight was his advantage, i am going to put it on the scale and have a number to go by and try to stick right with it. adding no more than 250 lbs to the existing truck... not including me of course.

the driver's side is sagging so i will swap in a new rear spring in the front drivers side. and make a new tranny tunnel.

this being at least 6 months away or course. it might even be a year. it runs great and i am going to beat on it and find some weak links i think. so stay tuned i'll throw some pics in soon.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Took dirt to URE yesterday. Had a blast. Went with a buddy and his friend n a rzr S. drove it Ike I stole it and didn't break a thing...that I know of. Did 70% in 2hi hi. Jumped all. All n all glad to get the first trip out of the way and know what it,ll take. Pics coming soon

b4 pics . Pics of the trip coming up next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Well I have been tinkering with the ole truck. Not much to show, just been enjoying it, but I found some seats that are pretty cool yesterday on Craigslist. Check em out

They are mastercraft defense seats! Made for a grenade blast or bombs. The name is " blast attenuation crew seat, mil spec.

Also started to groove the bloggers. I borrowed a nice tire Groover from x-jeeper and bout a #12 head and blades for it so I think they turned out nice, got to finish all the tires tho

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Well got the seats! Very nice! and did some grooving, finished the front tires, think it'll help alil but it looks different from any other bloggers I've seen so that's what I was going for too. Here's some pics from yesterday, first day that I've got out of bed for over a week:(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Went to the flats this weekend and beat on the buggy a good bit, Had a blast and won a good bit of stuff off road goggles air down kit, fiRe extinguisher, barns truss of my choice, and two barns battery boxes. A good deal, I sold the fire extinguisher to the guy beside me for $20 to get my entry fee back.lol I'm a cheap bastard!

Well the list of things that I will have to work on before the next trip is:

The frame is cracked behind the front spring hanger on the steering box side
The front diff is popping every so often, under load.
The clutch got hot and started slipping. It didn't help I was in low low 3rd gear clutch drop 4500rpm. Let it cool down and it started gripping again so I will have to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

good to hear that someones still beatin on the eyesore.

glad you had a good time at the flats.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Thanks man! It's been nice to be able to beat on something hard and not worry about a catastrophic failure... Atleast not yet. I don't think the truck can beat on harder than I did sat. The boggers did fantastic grooved, couldn,t be more happier...and was afraid that i might be getting chromoly rear shafts with the tires getting grooved but it held up. There was so many people that I knew I had a lot of help if something broke bad. I tried everything that came up.

We had a great time and won some stuff at the raffle.

talked to barnes4wd today to get some of the parts that won transferred to parts that I use. He worked with me and I now have a nice credit with them and am going to order some stuff to keep in my stock. Thanks again to barnes4wd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Well, played with the truck today and it was popping bad under load so ill be pulling the front diff out and seeing what's wrong. Got a vid from the flats

http://youtu.be/aIkclEjhnQk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Talked with daylon and asked if he had an open diff to transfer the Aussie locker into...if that was the case and he didn,t ... But he gave me a great deal on a diff with a locker to swap out. So I'll be swapping the doffs out and going again. Ill be able to get that diff right and have it for next time something desires to blow. Thanks again daylon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

your welcome. post pics of what you tore up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

You know it man!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Well got a lil bit o time to pull the front diff. And found a lil break in a pinion tooth. Whatcha think????

Is it possible to break a pinion tooth and not mess with the ring teeth?????. Didn't get a good chance to look it up and down just a quick peek and found that pinion tooth gone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Lil update, been playing around with the truck and getting it ready, I changed the front left spring, thinking that it was wore it and sagging but installed another spring and still the same leans to the left, I guess the next thing to dois to change out the right rear spring to try and get it level with the others? What y'all think? I know there is some heavy weight in the drivers seat but dang it's annoying to see it leaning to the left all the time...just sitting in the driveway it leans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

Add more weight to the passenger side???

Take the passenger springs and move them to the driver side???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

get spanky to ride shot gun.
has your drivers side got a spacer (bout 3/8-1/2) on
the bottom of the pack that the passenger don't. if not that may be it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

It doesnt have the spacer on the axle, i never added one.

The right rear is the newest spring on the truck. The one you need to change is the left rear i think. It is the only orginal spring left and im sure its worn slap out. It started leaning bad when i changed the right rear, not a front.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Started taking apart the rear left ring last night! Thanks and ill update asap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Well I,ve been MIA because of family things going on and haven't been able to take much time for my own projects. I have been dreaming and setting the stage for some changes to the buggy. Everything on it is doing well, just wanting to change the look and get some MO POWA. Like everyone, the 22r is just doing it job and nothing more. I,m going to change at but before I go there I am needing to redo the body parts. Here's where I am at as of this week. Stripped pretty much all the Toyota sheet metal and going to replace with clean sheet. Adding tubing where I see fit to change the look alil. Gusset where I see fit and install new seats. Kyle fits n that buggy alil better than I do. That will change soon though. Lowering the floor and seat chassis to accommodate my large stature. Let me know what you think.
Started looking into the floor situation and seeing what I had to work with! Not much here

Cut all the panels off and got the seats out of the way

Not much support for the new panels and such

And here is where I am left. New floor will be right at the frame level. Seat tilted back like all rock bouncers are

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

I have the other side to do and a lot of gusseting for the rock rails and such but it's open so everything is getting checked, cleaned and painted. Now for the power side of things. Been researching ideas for more power without spending too much green backs and found out that I am going to turbocharge it...not a huge amount, 22Rs are not known for being boost friendly but with a head gasket change and arp head studs it can handle alil. Probably wont take it more than 10psi with a small intercoolers. 12psi w/o a intercoolers. I am using a Mitzu eclipse gets turbo. It's a garret unit and is known for being a quality turbo. Factory setting around 8-10 psi. Putting a boost controller will bump it up to 12. I am also running a small intercooler to allow a smooth boost and no lag. I was going with a supra turbo but after seeing one beside this Mitzu unit I will be happier with the latter. Its a internal waste gate. Now some pics

This is a sprayer to cool the intercooler as I come upon a obstacle that i will be seeing full boost for along time...this cools the fins of the cooler to drop my temps for even better power. Use a windshield wiper motor and a nice ice water box and fill it up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

soooooo..... you are never planning to wheel it???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

has it been run hot after you got it? gonna lower the compression?
as good as that engine runs i'd not change the head gasket--just install the studs and let her ride. and on the boost thing think about leaning
towards lower boost without an intercooler as that will be more
stuff to fail on the trail. 6-8 lbs of boost will make a noted improvement
and be reliable.

other than that your upgrades sound good. armor is a good thing.

justastupiddawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

After looking into this before, I would run the non intercooled 6-8lb setup with headstuds. For what we do it should hold fine. The thing that tends to kill these engines on boost is cranking the boost up. Otherwise, even non-intercooled they seem to take it pretty fine in our applications. Cassidy ran a similar setup in his old single seat buggy and had good luck. It spooled quick and was darn reliable. IMO with intercooler/sprayer/aftercooler kind of setups on these things its just one more part to mangle and break on the trail.

Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Yotaoffroad27 wrote:
soooooo..... you are never planning to wheel it???

I don't under stand... It still runs. Just alil weekend wrenching project! That's all. I won't be putting the turbo on til winter. Making the turbo header and doing the piping after I get all the stuff. Right now just getting all the parts for the turbo mod. Only doing body work right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Stretch not sure what you mean by "after cooler", please clearify. but from what I,ve seen going slow and bouncing on obstacles is going to heat up the boosted air. The sprayer is a cooler lil feature that is cheap and just insurance ...just ncase. And since the gst turbo is 10-12 psi, a small intercooler will drop that pressure down to 7-10 from my estimates. Going to Dyno the current setup soon to find out what I'm at.

Dawg, thanks for talking today. My engine hasn't had any problems. I,be seen people run into issues with the factory style fel-pro head gaskets with lil boost. So il will be installing the arp head studs and while I'm there I think it,ll be smart to run a boost friendly head gasket. Mos gasket will run $100 but I think it'll be safe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Got alil work don't today. Changed the oil with some amsoil full synthetic 15w 50. Finished the rock slider support and thwarted the a piller bar.

NCTTORA Forum Index -> Rig Buildup