-> Upcoming Events -> New to wheelin read this
New to wheelin read this
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
zosimov21
Admin
Admin

Let's keep this thread on topic

Things to bring:
1) Tow strap: It should be nylon, at least 2" wide, and there should be *no* metal hooks on the ends. Metal hooks can be very dangerous if things go wrong.
2) Trash bag
3) Fire extinguisher
4) Full sized spare tire
5) A basic socket set, screwdriver, etc.
6) Food and water (I like to bring a loaf of bread, squeezable peanut butter and squeezable jelly. With that you could get stuck on the trail overnight and you'll still have enough food.)
7) Warm clothes.

How to drive:
1) As soon as you enter the trail stop and get into 4-lo. I (Woody in his taco) do just about all of Uwharrie in 4-low, typically gears 1-3.
2) If you have to drive over a rock put your tire right on it. On the street obstacles are really small so you straddle everything. Off road they are big and you have the most clearance between the front/rear tires.
3) Get out of your truck and look at the rear axle. See that big lump? That's the pumpkin (aka rear diff). Know where it is so if you do straddle things you don't smash it into everything. It's pretty durable so don't go nuts worrying about it but it does make an awful sound when you slam it and it can hold you up when you're trying to get past something.
4) Now look under the driver's door and observe the transfer case. It looks like this: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/transfercase.jpg It's not as durable so don't smash it into rocks. Smile
5) If the traction is bad on an obstacle you might need a little momentum. If the traction is good you should take it as just above idle in 4-lo 1st gear.

Other notes:
1) Be prepared for an unexpectedly long drive. I think a stock taco/4Runner will do well at Uwharrie. I'm confident I could every trail in it without carnage, especially after sliders. Not everybody will be the same. Heck, you're going with dogmeat and he breaks down every trip. Gives thy a finger Wheelers are notorious for being late. Prepare anybody that might care about you for the possibility of a long day.
2) Get a map at the pay station (El Dorado) or print one off online.
3) A CB will make the trip so much more fun. It's a group ride but you're not really part of the group without a cb. 90% of ncttora has a cb in their rig, I can't think of a single regular that doesn't have one. Get one.
4) The trail leader and tail gunner are typically more experienced guys with good rigs and radios. It's their job to look after the group.
5) Try to keep the guy in front of you and behind you in sight.

That's all I can think of for now. Have fun.

<thanks to Vanguard>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Sleeping
Sleeping bags
In the summer almost any sleeping bag will do just fine. Some guys like to buy a really warm sleeping bag and use it like a blanket in the summer and a sleeping bag in the winter. Other guys like to have a few different bags. Personally I use a convertible 0/35 degree bag. It has a section that can unzip so you're not too hot in the summer. I also bought an insert for about $25 that can keep you warmer in the winter or it can serve as a 50 degree bag for the hottest days in the summer. Sleeping bags can range from $40 to $700. The top end tents typically focus on keeping warm in very cold climates with as little weight and bulk as possible. Given that what we do is considered car camping you don't need a $700 bag. Also, down bags tend to be more fussy about being stored in their (typically tighter) pack than synthetic bags. Storing them stuffed in their little bag reduces their ability to keep you warm.

Sleeping pads, air mattresses, etc.
Sleeping pad
Pros:
Quick and easy to setup
Closed cell sleeping pads are the best choice for keeping warm

Cons:
uncomfortable (unless you spend $150 on a mac daddy 4" thick pad)

Air mattress
Pros:
Comfort
Price (typically about $20-$40)
air circulates in the mattress and keeps it cool during the summer

Cons:
PITA to set up and take down
air circulates in the mattress and keeps it cold during the winter

Cot:
Pros:
Comfort
warm when combined with sleeping pad
quick to setup and takedown
cool when used without sleeping pad because of air flow under cot

Cons:
Price ($50 - $200)

Tents
A $50 3 season tent should last you for years. Based on looking around the OHV campsites Coleman seems to be the most popular brand. I have a Coleman Eagle Rock and I've been happy with it. A tarp will protect the tent from the ground and reduce the chances of tearing caused by a rock or branch. When you set up your tarp make sure the tent covers the entire tarp. If you don't, the rain will collect in the tarp turning it into a bucket. The mountains on the east coast get rain all the time. I've been on about 8 trips in the last year. It's rained on every single trip, be prepared.

Eating
People go all over the map on this topic. Some guys value quick and easy over all else so they eat cold Chef-boyardee straight from the can. Other guys eat better on the trail than they do at home. Some guys use camping as a chance to have a little discipline and eat right while others go straight for the comfort food.

I've had good luck with my propane stove. It produces enough heat to cook anything and it's easy to find propane. Most lanterns are propane also so you don't have to carry multiple fuels and if one runs out you can steal from the other. Finally, propane is popular enough that you can probably find another camper with an extra bottle if you're really unprepared. Besides, white gas stoves are loud enough to be annoying, they sound like a jet. Smile I use the Coleman Grill/Stove and I've been really pleased with it. I like that I can grill my chicken and boil my veggies at the same time. I use both burners at just about every meal.

Last edited by vanguard on Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:16 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

This is my menu, which I use as the basis of a shopping list before I go camping.

Day 1:
Dinner:
Boneless chicken
Green beans w/almonds

Day 2:
Breakfast:
eggs
maple sausage

Lunch:
PB & J
trail mix or potato chips or cookies

Dinner:
Boneless chicken
corn

Day 3:
Breakfast:
eggs maple sausage

Lunch:
PB&J
snack food

Dinner:
Boneless chicken
Green beans w/almonds

Day 4:
Breakfast:
warm oatmeal (the sugary stuff)

Lunch:
PB&J
snack food

Other:
Trail mix
Cookies
Marshmellows
Graham Crackers
Chocolate

Other notes:
* One good way to keep warm is the "good 'ol hot rock". Take a ~5lb rock and put it by the edge of the fire for a few hours. Pull it out a few minutes before bed and then wrap it in denim, canvas, and old sweatshirt, or whatever. It will keep you warm all night and still be warm when you wake up.

* When you're driving to the site put all the things that you need to keep dry (sleeping bag, clothes, etc.) in the cab with you. Getting your "must be dry" things wet is a lousy way to start your trip.

* Consider buying a dry bag for your clothes. They do a great job of protecting your clothes on the way there and all weekend long.

* When you leave for the day to go wheeling, put the things you wantstay dry on your air mattress or cot.

* A firestarter log is a nice safe way to get a fire going. Another (less safe) way is to put gasoline on the logs before you light them. Putting gasoline on an existing fire is asking for trouble. If the fire won't build but is already started put gas on new wood and add it to the fire. Or better yet, prepare proper kindling.

* I pack two pairs of socks for every night I stay. It's a pretty good bet you'll step in water, mud, etc. during the day's wheeling fun.

* Depending on the weather/season make sure you have chapstick, sunscreen, insect repellant, etc.

Last edited by vanguard on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
DogMeat
Trails For Life
Trails For Life

found a PDF file titled Guide to Four Wheel Driving sponsered by Toyota.

(its off-site, i'll put a copy on the NCTTORA server later.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
DIRTYD
Level 1 Contributor
Level 1 Contributor

im glad we have people on here like woody...................... Smile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:08 pm Reply with quote
zosimov21
Admin
Admin

Super

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Rebelson

I am glad you put this up it actually good for people you not to outdoorsy Razz
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Figured this needed an update since pretty much everyone here has come a long way since '06

NEW TO WHEELIN...READ THIS...

-Sell your pretty FJ/Taco/4Runner
-Buy a 79-95 Pickup/4Runner
-Stock Duals, Cage, High Steer, Chromos, 36"+ Tires
-Buy a diesel and a trailer
-Drive said rigs like you stole them
-Bounce up every obstacle like you are an Aetna mtn hillclimbing racecar drivin fool.
-Fawk Spare parts...that takes up room for the cooler. (Xtra cab's have room for both...or just more beer/snacks)
-Laugh at each other, Race each other, Nerf each other, Make fun of each other, Roll Robert back onto all 4's
-Go back to camp
-Build a camp fire
-Drink more beer
-Go inside the trailer/house...Yeah camping? What is that?
-Wake up...repeat

New to wheelin read this
-> Upcoming Events