-> Wrenching -> help me steering box bracket broke off
help me steering box bracket broke off
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
hgkittyhawk
Wheeler
Wheeler

I've have been looking at my new toy. I'm sorry i posted things in the wrong place.The steering brace has broke off the frame. The one that is on top I'm going to weld it back on. All the way around.Looking at the front wheels. One is not straight. Or both if i turn the wheel to the left slightly. The tierod ends appear that they need to turn in but there r only a couple of threads left on the three. I figure turn them and measure the front and back side of the tires. Self alignment Smile I guess this would help 87 sas'ed runner hi steer. If you need to know any thing else let me know
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
gtrobb
... and Blue does it like nobody's business
... and Blue does it like nobody's business

I had the same issue - the small bracket for that third bolt above the frame. We welded it back on...looked like the factory only welded about 3/4 of an inch on the front to hold it...and it has held, but I definitely plan to add the full steering box support soon.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/steering/box/heavy-duty-ifs-steering-box-mount-kit

As far as the measuring, you want the front of the tires to be 1/8" (no more than 1/4") more narrow than the back of the tire...or that's how we set up my toe-in.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:44 pm Reply with quote
hgkittyhawk
Wheeler
Wheeler

Thanks dude I need the info. I'm going to weld it this weekend.I had to cut the threads on the tierods ends on my 88 ifs to make it work. the tierods where longer than the stock ones. i was just wondering if they where bottoming out in the tube.To be honest they look to be stock tierods no grease fitting.
help me steering box bracket broke off
-> Wrenching