Featured Truck: tyotayoda

NCTTORA Forum Index -> Tow Rigs -> Another new tow rig... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

StretchASU wrote:
Thanks guys!

Daylon, the Toyota is somewhere in Kentucky now. Still have my trailer. Decided it was time to move on and take care of some priorities. Paid off most of my student loan, put away some savings and fixed the Ford which was in neglect. It's still the tow rig but for now it will tow other peoples junk and my stuff when I move. As soon as my internship is over there's a chance I'm moving to Tampa, FL. Have a few applications in all over FL. Keeping my fingers crossed for this job with Life Fitness/HammerStrength fitness equipment.

FL.... there is no wheeling in FL.....

Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Yotaoffroad27 wrote:
StretchASU wrote:
Thanks guys!

Daylon, the Toyota is somewhere in Kentucky now. Still have my trailer. Decided it was time to move on and take care of some priorities. Paid off most of my student loan, put away some savings and fixed the Ford which was in neglect. It's still the tow rig but for now it will tow other peoples junk and my stuff when I move. As soon as my internship is over there's a chance I'm moving to Tampa, FL. Have a few applications in all over FL. Keeping my fingers crossed for this job with Life Fitness/HammerStrength fitness equipment.

FL.... there is no wheeling in FL.....

Two words....MUD...FEST

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Put Mac's old Warn Premiums in this past weekend after work. Nice to get rid of the factory vacuum lock crap that Ford sent these trucks out of the factory with.

The TS Chip is for sale now and there is a new one on the way from Power Hungry Performance. Design and install is the same. Just this "Phoenix" Chip is supposed to have better tuning on it. Seems to be the new hot poo poo in the 7.3 tuning game. Same as the TS I got to choose 6 programs.

1. Anti-Theft (No Start)
2. High Idle 1200
3. 40hp heavy tow
4. 80 HP Economy
5. 100 HP Performance
6. 120 HP Race

This time I ditched the stock tune and the 140HP "Extreme" tunes. Never used either. Stock is achievable by unplugging the board from the ECU port and the 140 Extreme was actually lower on power output because the stock HPOP cant provide enough oil to the injectors. I'd like the stock HPOP to live as long as possible. These tunes supposedly wake the truck up at higher RPM's which is about the only place it lacked power where I really wanted it. Guess we will see once I get it on the dyno. We are going to try and get it on the dyno this week with the factory TS programs just to get a baseline.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

sumbitchllberollincoal

North Carolina Army National Guard Recruiter

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Laughing Laughing Hopefully not. The factory TS tunes will dump the freight train coal. These are supposed to be more optimized so it doesnt smoke so damn bad. Benefit of the 6 spd is I can still lug it when someone tailgates me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

blangin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

the ol red smoke machine race truck tow piece now resides in Durham.

Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

StretchASU wrote:

Kregg?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Cumminsdzl wrote:
StretchASU wrote:

Kregg?

No unfortunately. He and Robbie that would come wheelin with him, has had first dibs on the truck if I had ever planned on selling it. And I was in no way planning on it, it was eventually just going to sit in the driveway and pull the future RZR around.

Different Robbie (blue first gen truggy) needed a truck for work immediately and didnt want to hassle with finding a diesel that may or may not have been taken care of properly. Called me, asked what number it would take for me to get rid of the Ford, showed up with a check a week later.

Going to New York on Tuesday morning to pick up this...

I figure a 6.0 Vortec will move a RZR around just fine. I was looking at 03-05 Tahoe/Yukon and Silverado/Sierra's but just couldnt shake the possible Castec head issues on the 4.8's and 5.3's. Started looking at Denali's only because of the 6.0's and found this one for a good deal even with the travel expenses.

04 AWD Model, 113k miles, loaded out, new nitto terra grapplers, 2 owner truck, garage kept and dealer serviced its entire life, out in a part of the state where the yuppie northerners dont use salt on the roads in the winter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Big pimpin! That thing looks nice!

North Carolina Army National Guard Recruiter

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
codyjh
Stinky Muppet
Stinky Muppet

Approved, assuming you keep the stock wheels on it!

4:88's / Lock-right / Maxxis Bighorns
Unbreakable Fab Sliders, Front & Rear bumper
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
DAWGTOY
Puppy Mill Maker

it'd be blangin wif some 24 spinnas.
and about 6 15 inch speakers in the rear.
oh and tvs in the headrest.
haulin 5-6 random hoes.

dawg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:22 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

DAWGTOY wrote:
it'd be blangin wif some 24 spinnas.
and about 6 15 inch speakers in the rear.
oh and tvs in the headrest.
haulin 5-6 random hoes.

dawg

HAHAHA thats what I said!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Figured I would bump this up and update it. I've been working my ass off and now preparing for this move so I haven't worked on the Cummins or updated this like I had hoped. That should all change once I get settled into the new job and can make some time for working on my junk again.

Robbie is still driving the sh&%t out of the 7.3 truck. The life spent in Boone is showing its effects on the cab corners and the rear wheel wells. He has chased some issues with the front axle and a shop that he paid to pretty much rebuild it from hub to hub. Corners were cut and there is going to be some warranty work done. But the truck still runs like a raped ape.

He built a pretty badass 1.5 DOM ladder rack for it a few years ago.

I've slowly been chipping away at some stuff I have wanted to do on the Cummins since acquiring it from Daylon as well as fixed a few things that came up. He had this thing pretty well sorted out with the majority of the usual 24V fixes already done. Injection pump, trans, lift pump, gauges, Lukes Link goodies etc. Its been a good base to slowly build off of. I hope to just polish this old turd some more.

First was the night I brought it home, made it about 10 miles and the AirDog sh&%t the bed. Popped the fuse. Luckily Daylon had another motor and he was nice enough to come down to meet me in Butner and swap that sucker out for me. About 11k miles later the same thing happened. Warranty was still good and they mailed a new motor to my office while I was in Chicago for work. Swapped it out in about 30 minutes and so far so good. Cracked both motors open, same deal. Diesel getting past the seals and shorting the motor. We will see how long this one lasts. I'm probably going to call in a month and "warranty" one of the two dead ones I now have in order to have a spare in the truck at all times. Don't feel like killing that nice Injection Pump that Daylon put on the truck.

Inside both of the motors:

Sometime back in February I had a freak failure of the #5 injector feed tube. It vibrated apart right at the fitting going into the head. Pulled off on my exit and the truck was shaking horribly (obviously missing). Cummins Atlantic in GSO luckily had one in stock and sent it my way and I was up and running a few days later.

Even when Daylon had the truck he had said it always pulled to the left under braking. Two sets of calipers warrantied, two sets of pads (cheap as sh&%t for this truck) and adjusting the rear drums properly and it STILL did this mess. Alignment checked etc. I've finally chased this down to a bad line in the right front. Well I jacked it up and had Robbie hold the brakes. The drivers front clinches down just fine, the passenger front does not hold as well. All I can figure at this point is that the inner liner of the brake line is failing and basically acting as a check valve. Sometimes it will allow enough pressure to close both front calipers evenly, other times, not so much. Going to swap these out in the coming weeks.

Intercooler boot down at the passenger lower joint likes to blow off during long runs at 25+ PSI aka towing in the mountains. I've pulled and inspected all of these things, no rips or tears or overly stretched boots. And I blew it off 3x going to Harlan and back in Feb. This was just annoying as sh&%t. Because new boots are a couple hundred bucks, I am going to use an old trick I found on CumminsForum first before I order boots. New clamps and hair spray to "glue" the existing boots to the charge pipes.

Last edited by StretchASU on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Like any old 24v it likes to have some oil leaks. The vast majority of this one is coming from the Vacuum pump and spraying all down the front of the engine. Common 24v issue, so I've added a reman'd Vac pump and seals to the to-do list.

Daylon also went ahead and did all of the AC/Heater junk that is behind the dash. Still won't hold a charge but a dye test doesn't show any leaks. Don't run the system and it will hold a charge for a few days, run the AC and you're blowing hot air after a day. I've traced this down to the seals behind the compressor clutch. Once you turn the system on, that seal expands and you lose charge. You just can't see the dye because its behind the pulley. AC Compressor coming up soon.

I got the Gooseneck ball free'd up the other afternoon so now I just need to cut a hole in the bedliner to allow it to come up through the bed. No wiring though from what I can see so I will wire in a plug for the trailer wiring. I don't have a gooseneck trailer so this isn't a huge priority, but what is the point of owning a 3500 if you can't hook whatever the hell you want to it and drag it down the road. Laughing

After that, really it's all aesthetic stuff that I want to change or fix.

The List:
Vacuum Pump
AC Compressor
Front brake lines and system flush
Headlights
Windshield and re-tint the front two windows and windshield strip
Smoked cab lights
Dash cover from Geno's Garage
Trans Temp Gauge mounted on the steering column
Brake controller
Shocks
Headache Rack
LED's for reverse lights/trailer backing
2x4 Boxed Tube step rails that run the length of the cab back to the front of the rear wheel wells. I'm short Laughing

Another new tow rig...
NCTTORA Forum Index -> Tow Rigs