-> General Talk -> Can a landscaping trailer move heavy stuff too?
Can a landscaping trailer move heavy stuff too?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

I bought a new house. Over the next few months I'll be hauling a lot of my stuff from Apex to Raleigh.

The house has a lot of land so I'll eventually be moving things like like a compact tractor w/FEL, ztr mower, etc. Loads of mulch and rocks will surely be hauled at some point.

I like the landscaping trailer's ramp. It just seems nice for hand trucks and such. Will driving on it with something heavy like a 4-6k tractor break the ramp?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:01 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

I live in Oxford. You can borrow my car trailer if you want. Its not the nicest thing in the world, but its hauled my 4runner to Harlan, Tracy city, and windrock a few times. Its also moved a 2nd gen dodge w/ a cummins from Richmond once.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
StretchASU
Resident Ass Mullet
Resident Ass Mullet

Thinking something like this?

If it was just the standard frame with wire mesh welded in the gate, I wouldn't roll a tractor across it, they sag and bow with even the weight of a lawn tractor/ZTR sized mower. The angle iron "ramps" that are welded in like the one pictured, stiffen and support the ramp gate a lot better. Depending on the wheelbase of the tractor, I don't see it hurting one like in the picture since it will probably never see the full weight of the tractor at one time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

My trailer is just like the one in Stretch's picture. It has the little ramps made into the gate. It has bent slightly over the years, but that came from unloading something heavy on uneven ground. Still closes fine, its barely bent.

I think if i was buying again, i would go for one with 5200lbs axles instead of the 3500lbs axles most cheap trailers have. I have never had an issue, but for a few hundred more its nice to have a little cushion in capacity.

I have hauled several heavy things, including a few tractors that weighed close to 6k on mine. Its fine up to about that weight.

One thing to keep in mind when you have a fold up ramp is that you are locked in to that length. If you want to haul a tractor with a loader and a bushhog, you will never get the ramp shut if you buy a 16' trailer. If your tractor/loader combo is super close to the length of the trailer, you are also stuck with whatever tongue weight you get. When you dont have any room to move the load around and get things leveled out you may or may not have issues.

Kaufman's website has all the details on their trailers along with pricing, and they are local
http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/

I feel like we just took a trip back to 2006. Been a while since ive responded to a trailer question from Woody.

Hope you're doing good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
vanguard
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Thanks for the replies. Given that I have more plans for random stuff hauling (lumber, stone, furniture, etc.) than cars I'm leaning toward something like this: http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/utility-trailers/utility-trailer-tandem-axle-landscape/8000-gvwr-18-ft-landscape-utility-trailer-standard/

Or maybe the 16' version.

In less than a year my tacoma will be passed down to my daughter and I'll have something more substantial to tow with. For now, I guess the little taco can pull a table saw, dressers, a welder, etc.

Can a landscaping trailer move heavy stuff too?
-> General Talk