-> Engine/Performance/Electronics/Interior -> I am baffled on this !
I am baffled on this !
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
blacktoy2002
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

Basic electrical question- I plug in my boat trailer to my truck and my lights do not come on. They have worked in the past. I call my friend over and he plugs the trailer into his truck and they work.

I test my truck plug with a circuit tester and it lights up, they all light up, power (brown) green and yellow for turn signals. They all work.

So I have power to the plug.

The only life I get is when I put my 4 way hazards on, then the trailer lights blink but very dim.

What I have done so far, is cleaned every ground connection (white)on the trailer. I have cut off both plugs and wired it, wire to wire to make sure its not a bad harness plug, but they were just bought new. Still nothing.

I have tested the truck plug with a voltage meter and it looks like it getting enough power, up around 11- 12 vts.

The only thing I have done with the truck was put a camper shell on it and spliced in to the power to make the brake light work. I have a gut feeling this has something to do with this problem, but then I am still getting power to the trailer.

So I know the trailer is wired right and all light bulbs work because my friends truck proved it. I have power to the plug but all I get is dim hazard lights.

I am out of thoughts on this one, any help would be great.

My truck is a 2002 ext cab trd 3.4l 4*4
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
ORV Design and Fab
Douche Wagon

Sounds like a ground issue. Test the circuit with your test light grounded in the circuit. Not a outside source. It probably will look like your hazards.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
blacktoy2002
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

I attached the alligator clip to the harness ground and then stuck the pointer into all the female ends of the harness, It lights up with the ground and blinks with each turn signal. I just checked again with a voltage meter and it read 12.3 volts.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Cumminsdzl
Down in It
Down in It

i would be sure that your trailer ball isnt rusty and crapped up. Yes there is a ground wire in the trailer harness, but every light on your trailer is most likely grounded to the frame of the trailer. that wire may not be providing a good enough ground. A lot of times a trailer will ground through the ball to the truck. If the ball is rusty and not allowing a good contact you could be getting a bad ground.

This would also explain why it works on the other truck, assuming you used a different ball....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
blacktoy2002
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

We hooked up my friends truck without putting the trailer actually on the hitch, just connected the his harness to the trailer harness, and it lit right up and worked fine. All the lights worked, yes all the lights on my trailer are grounded to the frame. But they must all have a good ground if his truck lit them all up right?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:48 am Reply with quote
Yotaoffroad27
Resident Critic

I would say/agree the trailer is fine, your truck seems to have the issue.

You mentioned that you installed a truck cap or something. Where and how did you make the wiring connection? IMHO the only correct way to make a connection in a wire with out a plug is to solder and heat shrink the wire. If you used a but connection or one of those squeeze on deals the pushes a blade through the insulation on the wire, it might not be giving you a good connection. I would verify and rule out that is an issue.

If worst comes to worst, I would run a completely new ground wire (jumper wire) from the neg battery post to the ground pin on the truck side of the trailer wiring harness plug. If that fixes your problem, make it permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
blacktoy2002
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

Yes, my gut tells me its the truck, and the cap was the problem. So run a ground from the main battery to the Reese hitch harness truck side of it? We did use one of push on deals to splice in for some power to get to the camper light. However I tried to undo that and replaced it with a but connector, in hopes to just have everything back to the way it was. I bet all this is , is just a simple wireing problem. Maybe a simple wireing diagram would work, anyone know of a picture of this.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Try running a new ground from the truck side plug to the frame of your truck.

North Carolina Army National Guard Recruiter

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
blacktoy2002
Webwheeler
Webwheeler

I just connected my truck to a small landscaping trailer just to see what would happen, well, all the lights worked. Everyone said that the issue is the boat trailer, bad ground, but why did my friends truck light up the boat trailer?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
sgtbriangreen
Global Warmer
Global Warmer

Take a wire wheel to your ball. I have to do this a couple times a year to keep a good ground. Check the inside of the coupler on the other trailer for excessive rust. Might need to clean that out too.

North Carolina Army National Guard Recruiter

92 pickup "Plain Jane"
I am baffled on this !
-> Engine/Performance/Electronics/Interior